“Is the speaker broken in?”....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Neener, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Afflicted

I’m selling a speaker on reverb and I’ve had multiple people ask “is the speaker broken in?”

How the hell do I know? Lol

I tell them I bought it used, played it for a week or so and took it out.

Am I missing something? Is there a way for me to physically see or hear if a speaker has been “broken in”?

It is curious, I would never think to ask that before buying a speaker, but than again I am new to this particular rabbit hole.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

They’re right to ask, and your admonition of a reasonable query makes you an untrustworthy seller in the ‘buy before you try’ realm.

3. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Seems he doesn't want to lie to them and is asking us on how to know..... anyway I would like to know also

4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Unless you know more about the speaker’s usage by the former user’s disclosure, your answer is fair and reasonable, imo.

5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Not fair to call the OP untrustworthy. There is no physical way to tell if the speaker in ? is broken in. If it was used for a week, as stated, probably not, but who knows???

clingin_on, Neener and Zoso420 like this.
  6. Neener

Neener Tele-Afflicted

I didn’t say they didn’t have a right to ask, I just found the question puzzling on my end.

I answered to the best of my ability and explained (in greater detail than I wrote here) the history of my purchase and my experience with the speaker.

And im an extremely trustworthy and friendly reverb seller! I was just surprised by the question and unsure how to accurately answer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  7. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Who cares if it's broken in?
    You bought it used, too, for crying out loud.
    If it ain't then do it yourself, buyer. No big deal. I would answer "No idea" and move on to the next buyer.

El Duderino and Telekarster like this.
  8. Neener

Neener Tele-Afflicted

I guess the more I think about it, maybe people just want to know if it’s been used vs being brand new.

Like I said I’m not a speaker-head, so there is some ignorance on my part. The more you know...

9. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Just depends on who's asking, and the answer, to you, is that you don't know who's asking, or why, in particular.
    So the correct answer is 'I Have No Idea', and leave it at that.
    Four word answer clears it all up and is all that's required from you.
    If they try again, you simply repeat the same answer.
    Also helps in any possible Reverb dispute, that your answers are short, simple, concise.
    Basically, the less words you use, the better off your position stays.

'Over-explaining' is a sign of 'nice-guy' personality, and that you can be manipulated further down the pike.
    Possibly at a later date, possibly after a sale, possibly to ask for refund or partial refund.

Unless an item is worth BIG dollars, then explaining is fully expected and called for.
    Otherwise, super brief answers, always.
    That holds your end as the seller in the stronger position and you come off to buyers as a stronger personality.
    Or they just don't have enough info about you to make a call either way because you're not giving it away for free.

Unfortunately, scammers, asshats, and thieves look for people just like you, you are exactly their target of choice.
    You are the woman walking down the street with her purse half-open and not paying attention when you 'nice-guy' them and over-explain.
    Or you could say you're 'leading with your chin' in boxing terms.

Selling, (and buying), is a business transaction, 'friendliness' has very little, to nearly nothing to do with it.
    Years ago it did, but unfortunately one must keep current with the times.
    So you approach it exactly as a business transaction and nothing more than that.

Keep your beautiful bright cheery and fun-loving self for your actual friends, neighbors, and family.

El Duderino likes this.
  10. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Buying used online, the odds are not in your favor when a seller claims ignorance.

Ergo, in this case, OP is not trustworthy to a potential buyer. It’s not about being fair it’s about math.

11. Neener

Neener Tele-Afflicted

Ha dude there is no claim or issue.

I just didn’t know how to answer “is it broken in”...which I now know is basically “has it been played a bunch”...as was politely explained to me by the fellow Reverb user.

Now I know!

12. irie

irie Tele-Holic

caveat emptor

SnidelyWhiplash and Neener like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Certain speakers are like old time boots that require weeks of blister making to break in.
    I've broken in Red Fangs and Golds that too weeks of ear blisters until they got comfy.

The break in process isn't just cork sniffers.
    I bought them all second hand from owners who lost money to not have to deal with the break in!

Neener and Timbresmith1 like this.
  14. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Holic

quite strong language for a simple inquiry!
    1. What admonition?
    2. Untrustworthy? (as the OP explained, they are just inquiring as to how to answer the question... asked and answered.)

The difference between a "well-played in" and a new one, for me, is a lot. But I wouldn't expect someone to be able to say beyond the truth:

"I bought it used and played it for a week". So I don't. know for sure.

Not being overly 'nice', just stating the facts s simply and clearly as possible.

PS and I recommend not admonition any of your potential buyers!!

15. ScareDe2

ScareDe2 Tele-Meister

It probably means that you are selling speakers that are reputed for sounding harsh, until the ears get accustomed to the sound. It may be a good idea to tell that they are not yet fully broken in.

Neener likes this.
  16. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

They're right to ask, yes, and so is the OP. He's asking us for advice on how to respond properly to such queries.

aadvark and Neener like this.
  17. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

Fair question by the OP.
    The whole thing is ridiculous if you ask me. What are they gonna do, send it back if it doesn't sound broken in enough for them?

aadvark and Neener like this.
  18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

just say 'yes' and re-state the price.

SnidelyWhiplash, King Fan and Neener like this.
  19. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Loop something that gives the cone a good workout, crank it up as loud as your living circumstances will allow, head out for a few hours. Done.

Neener likes this.
  20. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I think the OP's response to the question he was asked is perfectly fine. I would rather buy from someone who gave me such honest info about the speaker's age, use, condition than someone who simply says "yes". The latter response might be correct....or it might not be......or it could be an outright lie. You wouldn't really know for sure until after you installed it and actually used it for awhile.

Timbresmith1 and King Fan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.