1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

“Is he really that good?” Eric Clapton on Jimi.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Oct 12, 2020.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

My dad (who was a huge fan of both) used to say that what a lot of folks need to remember is that when players like Clapton and Hendrix came on the scene, rock and roll as we know it had only existed for about 10 years. The gear they had and the things they were doing with it are accepted as givens now, but back in '67 it was like these guys were from outer space. Huge stacks of amps, fuzz pedals, and bludgeoning volume just weren't really a thing until they arrived. Think about 10 years....in that span of time the role the electric guitar played in popular music went from "Be Bop a Lula" to "Purple Haze". The difference is like night and day.

It was the same with Eddie Van Halen to a certain extent. He took the Clapton/Hendrix template (heavy, blues based rock, piles of loud amps) and drove it even further into the stratosphere, rendering pretty much everything that every guitarist was doing at the time moot...again in the space of about 10 years. That first VH album effectively killed disco.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

CONGRATULATIONS! i like prunes, because I like dried plums and apricote,cherrie grape peaches pears, are there dried kiwi , ... yah there are.
    the level of technical excellence is so high at this point, it's amazing ,and not to forget ,
    THE FEEL FACTOR. lOUIS aRMSTRONG HATED BEBOP BECAUSE IT DIDN'T SWING , YEAH HE DID , i THINK , HE SAID IT SOUNDED LIKE CHINESE MUSIC AS A PUT DOWN ... sorry for shouting
    the level of skill is not to be denied, Verond Reeds comprehension of technology and how to apply his rig to making music is mind numbing at his level I'll dig up a tour of his rig and his explaining all the independent systems the he has integrated and commands blows my mind.
    here

images (3).jpg

Slap Axe likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Members of Cream who were not just there but on stage with Jimi. Pretty good source of you ask me.

suthol and farmcaster like this.
  4. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

I thought Jimi's manager was Chas Chandler, who played in the Animals ..?

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hendrix always played in the moment , what ever hit him now is where he went, clapton was more polished and definesd, and didnt depend on tricks to get the feel out, hendrix learned stage theatrics and used them to get a responce from the audience , Clapton was consumate but elevated himself off his ego.
    bottom line is these guys , with Beck and Page , did what they did with zero technology because it hadnt been invented yet , and thank gawd they did , we all learned from this, some better than others ,
    inovators rock!, any one can be a well trained monkey and copty what was done , the key is to move it to a new provocative level .

6. rze99

That is very odd punctuation you have there. Is your machine defective?

24 track likes this.
  7. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

It was Chandler and Jeffreys initially.

Lockback likes this.
  8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Ow. Ow. Ow.

Ginger Baker was Cream's drummer. Jack Bruce was Cream's bassist.

suthol and Bella like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my eyballs dont work good and some times its the best I can do , Im lucky to see the keys at all .

any thing else I can help you to understand?

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  10. rze99

Nope. Best with your eyesight.

24 track likes this.
  11. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Eddie Van Halen influenced many guitar players you hear today. His riffs and rhythm guitar was the best stuff around in the late 70's early 80's. I suppose if you see Eddie mainly as a finger tapper and soloist, I can see your point. I see him as much more. His riffs and rhythms were very unique.

Where do I hear it today? How about Metallica?
    Listen to this rhythm guitar. This is very heavy guitar.

Esquire Jones and Telecaster88 like this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

I saw Hendrix live @ winterland and what he was doing with layers of feedback and direct playing was amazing , I liked when did a very electric intro to Sargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Band,
    "never to hear surf music again?" , you got that right! we ,my friends and I were left speechless and staggering. Albert King was so impressed he had to make rude commentS about the blues and soul FAIL!

Cheecharron likes this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'd have had to do some research to figure out who they were since the clip didn't call it out, I couldn't recognize them.

They were mostly done & gone before I was born.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

This thread has almost run its course, but its worth adding that Hendrix is known as a Lead guitar player, but what I find the most attractive was his sense of rhythm.

Coming from the R&B Chitlin' Circuit and having backed (and FIRED from) EVERY Soul/R&B big name band from about 1962-1966, he learned to play a combination of lead/rhythm/bass simultaneously that NOBODY else was doing in Rock and Roll in 1966. Throw in the blues influence, the beautiful Curtis Mayfield hammer on style and Bob Dylan influenced songwriting and you have someone that was COMPLETELY UNIQUE.

Jimi played Killing Floor when he sat in with Cream - and Clapton walked off the stage in disbelief. (Listen to Jimi's performance of the same song at Monterey Pop-it sounds like 2 or 3 guitarists playing simultaneously at a breakneck pace...but its JUST Jimi.) I think it was Bassist Jack Bruce that said Eric had wanted to play the song Killing Floor, but lacked the ability to play the rhythm and lead together.

I don't think that Eric would have written Sunshine of Your Love, had Jimi not come on the scene.

I read a quote (it might have been Chas Chandler) that said that "Jimi wanted to burn Eric to death because he didn't play rhythm."

"This is a world of lead guitar players but the most important thing is the time...the rhythm." - Jimi Hendrix.

EVH certainly did influence Rock guitarists, but IMO, it was nowhere near as profoundly as JH...then or now.

pelle31 likes this.
  15. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

Did Rory Gallagher raise the bar, just a little? I mean Jimi thought he was pretty good....

suthol likes this.
  16. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Jimi also thought Terry Kath of Chicago was pretty good.

suthol and Ronzo like this.
  17. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

From what I've read, in spite of his on stage persona, Jimi was very insecure and self effacing. He pretty much thought everybody was better than him.

Rufus likes this.
  18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Stevie. Excusez du peu...

19. ping-ping-clicka

Cream took a lot of heat, but when everyone was playing by the number,
    Cream hit the stage and depending how they were getting along...
    would improvise a lot and that changed everything while hendrix was across town tearing up the the sonic rule book.

20. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It is rubbish like this that makes me question most of history when a story can be turned on its head like this by someone who obviously wasn't around then and just prints something with little or no truth whatsoever as fact when five minutes on google would prove it wasn't.

pelle31 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.