“Hey, Neil!”: Chance Encounter with Neil Young

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Double Stop, Jun 5, 2021.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

well, he grew up in houston off the wayside drives...

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

You left out the pie hole part.

bender66 likes this.
  3. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

This Springsteen sighting is very Springsteen: New Jersey, train, hardworking policeman, cab driver.

4. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I once met Jay Leno at the Alamo, as one does.

I met Trent Reznor in New Orleans in 1996. My college roommate was with me but was too in awe to say anything, frozen in worshipfulness. When I approached him to introduce him to my roommate, Reznor, surprising no one, was not a bit friendly.

My girlfriend's dad once introduced me to his best friend Jerry Jeff Walker. Her dad called me "my daughter's beau," and until the drive home, I didn't think to say, "but you can call me beaujangles." We all ate barbecue together and listened to music. Jerry Jeff Walker struck me as the kind of guy that lots of people considered their best friend.

In general, though, I observe the New York Rule: I leave famous people alone, giving at most a subtle nod of recognition.

emisilly, Blue Bill and brookdalebill like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I didn't know he had lived in Houston, but he grew up on the North side of Indianapolis, IN. That's where the family home and his schools were until he split for Nashville. A neighborhood kid.

6. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Since this thread started off with Neil Young and bathroom content, I will add that I nearly ran into Kevin McHale and Bill Walton coming out of the bathroom at great woods during a Neil Young concert circa 1988.

emisilly, Double Stop and Blue Bill like this.
  7. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

About 10 years ago - in a cafe in rural NZ (where we lived at the time). Having a chat to the proprietor, who I knew, and in walks Sir Colin Meads (now RIP).
    (I'm not a rugby fan, but he was a very famous Rugby player. Considered NZ's best in the 20th century. The Babe Ruth of NZ Rugby.).

Cazna (cafe) says: "What can I get you Mr Meads?"
    I said: "I think it is Sir Colin these days".
    He just replied "Oh we won't worry about that..." and then he ordered his coffee.

Sadly I didn't bump into Sir Ed Hillary before he died.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    emisilly and brookdalebill like this.
  8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

How could I forget... Mick Jones came into the record store I worked at in Berkeley in the early 90's. I got lucky enough to show him around the selections (2 floors) for about an hour. It was the B.A.D. era & he purchased a lot of hip hop. Very nice fellow.

Right across the street from that store me & 2 co-workers were walking down the sidewalk & ran into Tori Amos & her bf/s.o/husband? They were quite gracious about stopping & talking with us. 1 of my co-workers (a pianist) was a huge fan.

Also 1 block from that store smack dab in front of UC Berkeley campus another co-worker told me David Johansen was up the street at a bus stop bench. I didn't believe him, so I went to check. Sure enough, Buster Poindexter just hanging out on a bench.
    That area was so rich bitd with life. It looks like a ghost town now.

Dave Wakeling looking for the keys to the van through all their gear in a parking lot in Fairfax CA.

emisilly and Fendereedo like this.
  9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

well what have YOU got, Skippy?

johnny7 and Bluesboy3 like this.
  10. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

Wow, a lot of good ones folks!
    Well... since living in L.A. for the last 50 years, I've had a few celebrity situations. The first was in 1972. The group I was in was practicing in the afternoon at a west L.A. club and this super drunk guy with a friend came rambling in and all of a sudden the rehearsal stops and the BL is letting this drunk guy jam with us on drums, wasting our time from my point of view. (he was horrible!) After he and his friend left, I asked who the Hell was that! They said you just jammed with Dewey Martin of Buffalo Springfield!!! Weird

So I'm playing in the same band at a real nice club in Newport Beach. The girl singer in the band came backstage on our break and said because your from Phoenix there's someone I want you to meet. So she drags me to this booth and there's 2 guys sitting there, one with a suit, and the other is a heavy-ish guy. She says Bob, I want you to meet (by the time I get to Phoenix) Glen Campbell (the heavy-ish guy) He was probably between tours and had put on some weight? Anyway, i looked at her and the 2 of them and said: " Your NOT Glen Campbell!!! and immediately walked away. Boy, did I ever catch sh#t from her. It really was him.

Another time we were rehearsing with Bobbie Gentry at SIR in Hollywood and I got lost amongst the many rehearsal studios and barged in on Bill Medley and his band rehearsing. Everyone stopped cold (including Bill) and gave me the stinkeye. Yikes!

Another time I was taking my mother to LAX after she had open heart surgery, still in a wheelchair (still on heavy pain medication btw) the airlines was nice enough to show us a 'special way' to get to the terminal. It involved getting in an elevator typically used by famous people so they wouldn't be bothered by the public. Sooo, we wheel her in and a very handsome couple gets in with us. In like 2 seconds she blurts out " Mr. Richard Widmark!!!" (The famous 50's/60's actor) he gave her a kinda weak smile and stared at his shoes. I was horrified.

I was playing bass for Bobbie Gentry in 1974 at the main room of the Desert Inn in Las Vegas and often there would be celebrities in the audience. Occasionally they would come backstage to meet Bobbie between shows. The ONLY celebrity I remember coming backstage was Raquel Welch and as she walking down the hallway (looking straight forward) I was leaning against the wall talking to a friend, he nudges me and I look at her and she looked at me and smiled as she passed by!!! OMGosh....gorgeous!

And last, but not least. My cousin asked me to help him rebuild a patio cover up in the valley a few years ago. he said it would take a couple days and that I'd like who the customer was. It was Bob Birch (Elton John's bass player) and his wife Michelle's house. I was thrilled to meet him of course, so I brought my 1964 Seafoam green Jazz bass with me to show him. I was introduced and we laid the Jazz bass on his patio couch and when we opened up the case he was like "wow Michelle you gotta come out here and see this bass. I really think you'll like it"!
    Anyway, she came begrudgingly out and DID really like it, which was a real compliment as she was probably over seeing bass guitars. This I knew because he then took me into a special room that he had lined with bass guitar cases and was showing me his collection of Rickenbacker basses...maybe like 60? The one he was most proud of was all walnut and beautifully carved. I was surprised because he endorsed/played Musicman basses.....? So the end of the story is he told me that he and the Elton John band were going to play the Letterman show that Friday, so I asked him if he would take my '64 with him and play it on Letterman. He said, " are you kidding, the airlines would beat that bass up! No way!" He had a good point, but how I would have loved seeing it on TV. Ok, that's all folks.

+

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  11. getbent

sorry, i was quoting one of his songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Crowell

12. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think you may be confusing Rodney Crowell’s boyhood with that of John Hiatt, who grew up in Indianapolis. I’ve heard and read several interviews with Crowell about his childhood in East Texas. His last few years writing with poet Mary Karr have been devoted to their similar childhoods in petrochemical towns of the Texas Gulf Coast.

brookdalebill and getbent like this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

getbent likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Edit: Or Crowell

15. getbent

I goofed that up, sorry!

16. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

Excellent. Now, what’s your theory on Bobbie Gentry’s whereabouts? :)

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

At various guitar shops in the US and Canada, I’ve met:
    Billy Gibbons, Steve Morse, Gordie Johnson, Frank Marino, Glenn Tilbrook, Robben Ford, Mike Judge, Bobby Whitlock, Eric Johnson, Robert Fripp, AJ Croce, Billie Joe Armstrong, Herb Ellis, Charlie Sexton, Bill Kirchen, Red Volkaert, SRV, Jimmie Vaughan, Stephen Bruton, Tom Brumley, Nat Stuckey, Doyle Bramhall Jr., Carolyn Wonderland, Stu Cook, Roky Erickson, George Gruhn, Danny Gatton, John Sebastian, James Burton, Pete Anderson, Elvis Costello, Chris Whitely, and Kim Mitchell.
    I was working at most of the shops, and did minor emergency repairs for many of the aforementioned.
    All were cool, nice, and low key.
    It was always a pleasant shock!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  18. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Sat across from George Thorogood and his manager (?) at an iHop restaurant in Hollywood circa 1981. They were just across the isle, less than 6 feet away.
    They were discussing his upcoming album; the manager suggested doing some Rolling Stones songs and George didn't seem "down" with the concept.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.