“Guitars made from The Tree routinely sell for $30,000 - $40,000”. I came into a piece. Need builder

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluego1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Yep, here ya. Actually, if you could get a hand written, dated, signed and notorized document stating all the facts about the wood from your father-in-law, that would probably suffice as provenance if all the facts stated in the document can be verified e.g. names, places, people, his expertise in woodworking, etc. etc. IMO, I would personally try to make a guitar out of it, once I had the provenance to go with it. That might intriuge some good makers. Good luck and keep us posted!

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I will definitely keep you guys posted!

Telekarster likes this.
  3. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

:confused::confused::confused:

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Thank you, friend. I’ve been contacted. Much appreciated.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Petros guitars, Charles Fox, one of the big name builders would be the least risky and yield the best return on investment unless you just want it to play. But where’s the fun in that..?

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I also have a Sinker mahogany OM directly from Martin, and it is excellent. Lives up to its hype.

Now, as far as The Tree, I asked a renowned luthier (Bruce Sexauer) on the Acoustic Guitar Forum to compare to Sinker, and he replied, "Some people say the "Tree" sounds like Brazilian rosewood rather than mahogany, but I suspect they may not be all that familiar with BRW. The "Tree" does have a significantly richer sound to my ear than typical mahogany, but not in the same way as BRW. And please remember I am referring to my own work, I have heard other maker's results that were quite different from my own. All three of my "Tree" guitars simply sound exceptionally beautiful, even in the body of my own work. There is simply no way I am aware of to convey the truth of this, but if one had one of these three guitars on the lap and played it for an hour and then went back to whatever else one usually plays, most people with any guitar experience at all would think it obvious. IMO, of course."

Here's an 00 on Bruce's website: http://www.sexauerluthier.com/FT-00-Tree-2018.html. I'd definitely pick him or Michael Millard if you wanted to use your pieces for an acoustic build.

I question the $30-40k typical price quoted. Most I have seen are more like half that amount.

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Ya, I just quoted the stewmac article I linked. One would think the price appreciation going forward could be significant, though, given that the tree has a finite supply and has already increased in value quite impressively.

8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Wow, just noticed they’re in Oxnard, where I spent probably 70% of my working life prior to retiring 3 years ago. Odd that I didn’t know that. Then again I didn’t pick up guitar until I retired.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.