“Guitars made from The Tree routinely sell for $30,000 - $40,000”. I came into a piece. Need builder

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluego1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

ervin says "Mahogany from the fabled “tree.” It is extraordinarily figured, and horribly expensive. Somehow, even though the entire world supply of this comes from a single tree that was felled in Belize in [according to some accounts] 1965, some pieces have a lot more tonal potential than others." Current upcharge is in the $4500 to $5000 range

it just adds 5000 to the value of the guitar. a piece of wood doesn't add much of anything to a guitar that already cost 40k

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

I've read about it. Beautiful. If it is thick enough, I'd go for an acoustic archtop.

cnlbb, El Tele Lobo and Bluego1 like this.
  3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Could you give me their TDPRI handles so I can maybe contact them? You can do it in a dm to me if that seems better.

brandonh likes this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

@preeb , would wood like this be suitable for any of your recent designs?

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

El Tele Lobo and Mexitele Blues like this.
  6. brandonh

brandonh Tele-Meister

Message sent!

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Just got this info on the wood from my FIL. Can someone please tell me what this will allow me to do? I’ve no idea.

“The board is slightly tapered both width and length. It is 69 x 17 3/4 x 11/16, and both sides are finished with laquer. The grain is mostly quilted pattern with about 1/4 blen ded quilt and ribbon.”

10. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="Mike Eskimo, post: 9357947, member: 25122

ES-125 ? I think it would be a waste to make plywood out of “The Log” but hey - go crazy ![/QUOTE]

I was talking shape and style but whatever

11. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Can't wait to see a picture of that, Blue! How soon is she arriving?

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I’ll probably grab it at thanksgiving.

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ Honestly, and I hate to be negative but I wouldn't post pictures of the provenance on the internet.

Bluego1 likes this.
  14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I can't recommend anyone, but if it were me, I'd build a nice flattop acoustic from it, probably a dreadnought or OO model...and if there was enough left over, a nice archtop jazz guitar. Very nice find. Happy for you, man!

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Stunningly beautiful wood. Just breathtaking.

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake Tele-Meister

I agree. I own a Larrivee and it's simply the best sounding guitar I've ever played. I sold my vintage Martin D 35 after I bought it and don't regret it.

Since they would be building one for you, I'd advise against getting a Piezo pickup. Mine sounds like a bag of nails. An internal mike is the only thng that will do it justice IMO

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Mea Culpa.
    My first repair at 13, (19690 i made a nut out of a piece of Ivory given to me by an old luthier.

Also I had a white Fender Ivory pick which I had from the time till my 50s when my dog bit it and caused a split on the holdind side- it still took two more years to wear out and break. Mea Maxima Culpa.

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. TelePenguin

TelePenguin Tele-Meister

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

The first thoughts that come to mind are - How do you know it really came from this tree to begin with? Does it have some sort of proof? Otherwise, it's just a chunk of mahogony and worth no more than any other peice of mahogany. Also, IF it indeed IS a peice of legendary wood from this tree and the hype is really all that, I don't think I'd have anyone other than a well known maker do the work, and of those I would not discount C.F. Martin custom shop, and a 000-28 or something would be quite swell indeed.

However, none the less, you're talking about some serious up front costs... so... 30-40K... yeah... but you may well have 10K in it from the start, or more. Also, has the chunk of wood been properly cured? Most high end tone woods cure in special climate controlled environs for 20+ years before their even used, as I understand it. Someone's backyard shed, avg workshop, or 2 car garage isn't exactly "special environs" if you know what I mean. If it hasn't been properly cured then whatever legendary tonal qualtities it might've had may be gone, or greatly hindered... Anyway, good luck and keep us posted! Very interesting story, and rather sad that such a tree was felled. I think ancient trees should be off limits to cutting, but since it's done, might as well use it ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  20. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I guess there’s no way to really prove it, as there is no way to prove Slash’s Tree guitar is authentic. My father in law knows personally the guy that ran the operation and the guy that owns the lumbermill that cut the wood and received his wood directly from them.
    He says it’ll be fine, and I have confidence in his eighty-plus years of woodworking with every wood imaginable. Both sides are finished with lacquer, as she was destined to be a coffee table top. Obviously I’ll get it assessed for guitar-worthiness by whomever I get to build it. I’m not going to put a ton of money into it; I’m hoping to find someone who is excited about building a guitar from the tree and keeping the excess wood for themselves for a sum I’m willing to pay. If acoustic is too expensive I’ll go solid body. If that’s too much, she’ll be a coffee table.

brandonh and Telekarster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.