1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

“Great Dream From Heaven” Ry Cooder Style

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by mrsongbird, Jun 27, 2020.

1. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Tele-Meister

Today’s Saturday Jam is a sweet little instrumental number I learned for my wife whose birthday is tomorrow! This is my take on Ry Cooder’s take on “Great Dream From Heaven,” by Bahamian guitarist and singer Joseph Spence. This guy mixed blues and calypso stylings with gospel music (almost all in drop D tuning), and I learned about him through the music of Ry Cooder, who I fell in love with in 2003 after he released Mambo Sinuendo, a project with Cuban guitarist Manuel Galbán. I remember telling my wife, “this is music to rob a bank to.”

Anyways, I go on these kicks where I listen to nothing but Ry Cooder for days and start getting out my lap steel or practicing slide guitar (next week, I’ll do a little of that)- I can’t play exactly like him (I wish), but I’ve been chasing his tone for years (especially his electric tone, which I’ve been trying to cop for a long time: heaven to me).

Anyways, this sweet little number is near the end of Into the Purple Valley, which is as great a place to start as any, but do some digging for the original Spence version too!

2. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

That sounded great and I love your guitar. Is this one in standard? Or open D? You have given me some motivation and a project for the weekend with this tune. And I'll be digging out my Ry records today. Great job and thanks for sharing!

mrsongbird likes this.
  3. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Tele-Meister

It’s in drop D, so it’s pretty easy to throw together!

CJM3309 likes this.
  4. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Nice indeed!!
    Fits the nice summer day perfectly!

mrsongbird likes this.
  5. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Well my resonator is already waiting in D so I will be on my way! Thanks again

mrsongbird likes this.
  6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love Ry Cooder, love Joseph Spence.

Deeve and mrsongbird like this.
  7. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Tele-Meister

Awesome- have fun! Just so I’m clear, my tuning was DADGBE

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.