“Forced” to borrow a pedal. And it broke

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toadtele, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

You’ve got to try this pedal he says. It’s the only distortion pedal you’ll need he says. I don’t need a distortion pedal I say. I’m set right now. But it’s a classic he says. I’m not using it so I’m going to leave it with you until you try it he says. Well I used it. It sucked. I’ve tried to catch up with the guy to get it back but it’s always a run around. So I was redoing my board. Had the space. Had the pedal. Why not? Right. Except now the damn thing won’t work. I can replace it for 50-60 bucks but should I have to?

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

If I were closer, I'd offer to fix it. Your friend says it's a classic, so there's less chance of any surface-mount parts, which means it's most probably quite fixable. I've had stompboxes break just sitting on the floor and I glance at them sideways, so there's no way I'd say you broke it. Do either of you own a soldering iron and the know-how to make a simple repair?

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, if it was working (for sure) but now it isn't, I'm afraid it is on you - just because you let that happen.

4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was already broke.

5. DeanEVO_Dude

DeanEVO_Dude TDPRI Member

OK, I'll bite... What pedal is it?

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I recently had a similar situation come up, but I'm the insistent lender...

I lent a wah pedal to a friend a few weeks ago. The last time I tried it, it worked fine.

He says that when he finally decided to plug it in, it didn't work.

Pedals are easier to replace than friends. I believe him.

I don't expect him to fix or replace the pedal. Since he's my friend, he will probably try to do one of those things.

I need to get that pedal back and tell him I fixed it before he spends any money... Lol

Again, this is a friend, and we both typically try to default in the other's favor. That approach has worked well for me and this particular friend for years.

I'm willing to give new friends the benefit of the doubt. I've run into quite a few takers over the years. Those types weed themselves out of my life fairly quickly...

Fwiw, I don't lend anything that I can't afford to lose. That's a lesson I learned the hard way.

Unless you agreed to replace it in the unlikely event, you are under no obligation.

You might offer to buy him a refreshing beverage. Again, no obligation, but it would be a nice gesture.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Replace it, then, when you give the new one to him, hand him a second pedal (that doesnt work) and insist he “give it a go”! “Its a classic “ you says.... see what what HE does..

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

yes you have to replace it

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Tried it off the board and with both PSU and battery? I have a friend who fixes pedals, so if it’s a “classic” I would try and track down the problem and offer to have it repaired. But it’s tough, because if it was a guitar and when I plugged it in for the first time there was an apparent dry joint causing an issue, I’d drop a message and say “did you know you have a dry joint in this?”. I wouldn’t pay to fix it. But if there was a reasonable chance I might have done the damage, I would sort it.

jimash likes this.
  10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

For $50 why wouldn't you? Chances are as good you did break it that you didn't.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's pretty funny that it sucked the first time you tried it, but maybe it's a power issue and it doesn't work with your power thing.

Pop in a battery and try it, if it works it's the same as when he gave it to you (which was also partially broken or had some quirk).

How classic is it? Boss DS-1 or Joyo something?

12. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

Its a boss metal zone mt-2. I pulled it back off my board and it works with battery only. That’s how I first tried it. Maybe it’s a classic and some people love them but I don’t care for it. So I’ll store it safely until I see him again and I’m going to send my old broken boss compressor with him. It’s a classic. You HAVE to try it I’ll say.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

if its an older pedal its probaly a broken or coroded wire from the 9V plug to the board , because the battery works fine, should be an easy fix

WetBandit likes this.
  14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The metal zone? A classic? Sounds like he might have been pulling your leg... maybe? It’s got a reputation for being a terrible pedal, especially the last few years. It’s been the butt of almost every joke on pretty much every guitar related YouTube channel. Is this friend the kind to play practical jokes? Or is this really his favorite pedal?

jimilee, Shuster, jimash and 2 others like this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

The proper thing to do is at least offer to pay & be prepared to do just that. I let my friends off the hook every time, but never stangers. A friend will let it slide.

stnmtthw likes this.
  16. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Well stated. You have learned much, Grasshopper!

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

When I read your post, I was going to make a joke and say "It's a Metal Zone, isn't it?"

Danjabellza and Toadtele like this.
  18. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Sounds to me like you didn't break it. It's not uncommon for the contacts in the little DC socket to fail, meaning the pedal works off a battery, but not an external 9V supply. Those components wear out because they are mechanical, but you'd have to be really clumsy to properly break one.

I'd be handing it back and saying, 'You know this only works off a battery, don't you?'

19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Try banging on the pedal a few times, then give it a good shake.
    If that doesn't work check to see that the centre pin isn't messed up. Those old boss pedals are usually pretty indestructible unless you fry them with the wrong power supply.
    Negative vs positive tip, ac/dc etc.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  20. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If it’s an old Boss pedal it probably needs an ACA power supply and won’t work on a modern 9 volt regulated supply. Look for the ACA sticker on the front.

You didn’t break it. Just return it, don’t replace or repair it.

Edit: After a bit of Googling, I have confirmed the Metal Zone does NOT need the old ACA power supply. Chances are the problem is just a simple broken wire in the power circuit. Are you sure it worked on power supply before?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    jimash and Toadtele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.