1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

“Fenderizing” a USACG Neck

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Trio, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Trio

Trio TDPRI Member

I have a USACG “tele” neck on its way to pair with an MJT body that I have. I know that USACG does not have a license to make an exact copy of Fender’s headstock shape. There will be a “bump” on the headstock.

I know from searching that folks have reworked the headstock themselves to match the Fender shape. Most posts say that it’s easy.

My question is: how and what tools has anyone used for this? A sanding block? Spindle sander? Belt sander? The idea is to keep the sanded edge flat and perpendicular to the face. How did or would you do this? Specific techniques would be great.

2. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

A hard block would make short work of getting the outline ''fixed''. Then you'd carefully re-radius the edge.

Hard block can be made by using contact cement to glue paper to any small piece of flat wood. A file could be used in place of hard block if you're comfortable with a file.

ctom2 likes this.
  3. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Spindle sander if you have one, yeah, other than that a bandsaw and then files/sanding blocks.

ctom2 likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If you screw a scrap of wood to another scrap so you have a nice square L shaped sanding block, you can lay the flat across the back of the headstock to keep the sanded edge square. Might want to mask the back of the headstock with painters tape to prevent scratching.
    It's surprisingly easy to accidentally rock a sanding block so the edge ends up rounded.

Ricky D. and ctom2 like this.
  5. ctom2

ctom2 TDPRI Member

OP here: This sounds great but I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. Can you give the idea another go?

Thanks!

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

You could attach two scrap pieces of lumber to create an "L" shape for your sanding block. Sand paper on one side of the L, the other side is your guide. Stretch a rag over the guide side and staple it on the sides to protect the back of the head stock. Hold the guide against the back of the headstock while you sand the edge. Clear the sawdust often while you work.

telemnemonics and ctom2 like this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

He's describing an easy way to keep the block square (@ 90d) to the headstock face.

On further examination, it looks like the cove by the b tuner needs to be deepened also. That's best done with spindle sander; it's hard to do inside curves by hand.

ctom2 likes this.
  8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I just used sandpaper and my hands and patience and guess and check.

ctom2 likes this.
  9. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I cut some paddle headstocks today. Used a jigsaw for the big work, dremel with drum sander for rough detail and hand sanded the rest. I wasn't going for a fender design, but I imagine any shape could be made this way.
    IMG_1339.JPG

ctom2 likes this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

...Home from work...
    Same idea as Ricky D offered; think of a table saw with a rip fence.
    The table part is about the size of the headstock, and the sandpaper goes on the rip fence.

Ricky D. and ctom2 like this.
  11. ctom2

ctom2 TDPRI Member

Thanks. Now I get it and it sounds like a plan.

(thanks to Ricky D., too)

I appreciate all the replies.

telemnemonics and Ricky D. like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.