“Custom designed for VOX”?- Celestion Greenback G12M

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Deathray, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

D411127D-0659-45BB-8EE6-9C9F0751289A.jpeg

Anyone know anything about how this may differ from a regular G12M? There’s a Vox extension cab (V112NT) that was sold for the Vox night train amp head. I saw the cab for sale on Facebook, but wondered if this GB may be a budget build in accordance with a Vox spec, to meet a price point?
    Didn’t want to jump all over this, until. I learned more. Thanks in advance!

2. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

I have eight of those in a pair of Marshall 4x12s from 1973.

3-Chord-Genius and Deathray like this.
  3. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Great, but I don't think this is the kind of information the OP was looking for.

As I have come across that cab+speaker for less than the price of a used regular Greenback, what we want to know is how it differs from the 'not for Vox' designed version.

Chunkocaster and Deathray like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I had one of those Vox NT112 cabs at the same time as my MiniJubilee with single Celestion Greenback and plugged in it sounded the same allowing for different cabinets, one semi sealed, one open. It's a stock Greenback.

5. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It seems (to me) that Celestion would not be interested in making ‘bargain-bin’ Greenbacks that looked that much like standard Greenbacks, it could reflect poorly on the brand. But if I had any real business sense, I’d be a different person.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

They would not want to hurt quality. That looks like standard, re-labeled, greenie
    Great speakers. The chinese new production ones are great. imho

3-Chord-Genius, stnmtthw and Deathray like this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

“Custom Designed For Vox” = Contractual Agreement for a Particular Number of Speakers with These Specs...

It doesn’t always mean the speaker was specifically designed by the engineer for the amp.

stnmtthw and Deathray like this.
  8. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

It's clever marketing, the label was custom designed for Vox ...

Steve 78, stnmtthw, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would guess that its a normal greenback, I cant imagine they would make a whole other speaker that looked and spec'd just like a greenback and then go and sell it for a cheaper price. Their speakers are already made for the cheapest production costs they could find while maintaining a level of quality. Unless they are made in the bad side of town in china vs the good side of town.

The decal looks kinda cool with the vox label. Brings more brit to the Chinese made speaker and gives the illusion of old word quality.:)

I would grab it if its a good price.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius and Deathray like this.
  10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m just curious...how can one tell that this speaker is made in a China from the photo?

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Friend of Leo's

Not sure if this is still true but other than the Alnico Blue which is/was made in England, all other speakers are made in China. Just like every other product is.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Not sure about the other Alnicos mfg loc, but, either way sound good. (Cream,gold,ruby)

Deathray likes this.
  13. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

G10 Creamback is Made in England. I 'm pretty sure all the alnicos (red/blue/gold/cream) are too.

Deathray likes this.
  14. naomimoan

naomimoan TDPRI Member

I have one of these in my Night Train combo. A quick glance doesn't indicate country of origin (Although amp itself was made in Viet Nam).
    The speaker sounds fine to my ears.

Deathray likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

I think all the standard greenbacks, V30's etc have been made in china since the late 90's- early 2000's. The Vox cab it's in is made in Vietnam or china. I don't think they would ship a UK made Celestion to China or Vietnam etc to install in their cabs. They are apparently now making more celestions in the UK again but that's a recent development.

16. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

It is a good price, but I just bought a gently used G12H-75 Creamback (loose, no cab) off of Facebook a day before finding this. It is nowhere as sweet as the Greenback, tone wise. I’m gonna move it along (hopefully), and buy the V112NT
    Anyone interested? $90 plus shipping. Or, if you’re in the northern tier of Illinois, I’ll deliver!
    Made in UK, for what it’s worth.
    788FBC91-6B75-4AB0-99CB-03543762EA4A.jpeg
    D02BD90E-B471-42EC-B109-8921EC65A87D.jpeg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

I'd be all over that if it was local but o/s shipping and taxes would be too high.

Deathray likes this.
  18. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I vaguely recall reading or seeing somewhere that the country of origin is shown with a sticker on the side somewhere. I might be wrong about that though.

You could try contacting customer service and seeing what they say about any differences. It way work.

Pax/
    Dean

Deathray likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

The pics of the Vox cabs I found had both Vietnam and China labels on the back plates. The speakers usually have small white bar code stickers on the side of the magnets that also list country of manufacture. I think all standard greenbacks have been made in china since the late 90s early 2000's. I think they have just recently started making some standard greenbacks in the UK again. The Heritage greenbacks have still been made in the UK throughout that period until today as far as I know.

I researched them years ago when I bought a pair of new old stock UK made greenbacks.
    They apparently sound much the same as the China ones but I haven't used the china ones in my cab or with my amps to say for sure.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

The Standard Greenback and a couple other of the Celestions that were previously made in China are now made in the UK. Supposedly the same speaker, same parts from what I've read. I'm surprised more people haven't heard about this, it's been true for at least 6 months or more. They are still making some standard models, and of course the cheaper line (70/80 and such) in China.
    Al

Deathray likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.