“Budget friendly” 1x10” cabinet and chassis options for bassman micro?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Dbsoundman, May 15, 2021.

1. Dbsoundman

Dbsoundman TDPRI Member

Hi all, I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of kits and tweed amp permutations out there. I’m trying to find the cheapest option for a simple 1x10” cabinet that would fit a chassis suitable for a bassman micro build. I’m hoping to get a predrilled chassis, even if the labels aren’t right, but I am willing to drill my own if needed.

I’ve come across tons of options from Weber, mojotone, others, and even checked eBay, but I’m not really sure what I would be looking for when it comes to this somewhat “custom” arrangement.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Listen to samples of each speaker you have available to you. A lot of manufactures have a clip, youtube for what it is worth. What speaker is good for you depends on what you like.

2L man likes this.
  3. Dbsoundman

Dbsoundman TDPRI Member

Oh yeah, the speaker choice is open to interpretation yet, I just know I’d like 10”. My problem is where to put it (cabinet) and what kind of chassis fits that cabinet, without breaking the bank.

4. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Best value for money loudspeaker I have bought for low power Tweed is WGS G12Q. There are few very good YouTubes of it especially when you see a Les Paul on them.

Best low volume Tweed sound I get playing to Jensen P10R-F.

Their sensitivies are very low so perhaps they make micro amp too quiet?

Eminence 1028K has better sensitivity but its low volume low power sound is not as interesting as previous two but using cranked 10W it sound very good but then it is too loud for home playing.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  5. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I second the Eminence 1028k.

Especially for a low watt build.

Lower rated AlNiCos do well when pushed a little (though, I’m not suggesting using a 20 watt speaker with a 20 watt amp, for example — a little elbow room is good, otherwise you might blow the speaker). The top end compresses in interesting ways.

6. JohnnyCrash

... here’s that article I was thinking about:

“An alloy comprising aluminum, nickel, and cobalt, alnico demagnetizes relatively easily, which gives a smooth response with compression at higher average volumes.”

“As the [AlNiCo speaker’s] voice coil’s effect lowers the available magnetic field of the alnico magnet, the speaker becomes less efficient, and the voice coil moves less. The physics of it is that the small magnets near the surface of the magnet poles (called “domains”) begin to change state, or flip directions. The result is smooth compression, which is the same kind of operating-curve compression that occurs in a tube amplifier.”

https://www.premierguitar.com/speaker-geeks-alnico-or-ceramic-what-gives

2L man likes this.
  7. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

If your somewhat handy you can make a speaker cab pretty easily. See JohnnyCrash's beebox build, he is doing it with all hand tools. Hammond makes aluminum boxes that make good chassis's. Easy to drill with a step drill. I like to build head units so I can mix and match different cabs and amps.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  8. printer2

I wanted to pick up the WGS G12Q but the dealer here closed shop. I do have the 10" Veteran and like it for up to 10W amps. It has a high Q, Q is the resonance hump. In a closed box it might need a lot of bass rolloff, in an open back cabinet it compensates for the bass cancellation of the open cab. It is not the most efficient but not the least either. Depends on your idea of loud whether a 94 dB speaker or a 100 dB speaker is appropriate. That is what some people look for in their micro amp. They have a 100 dB speaker and can only play clean so they get a micro amp. The difference between a 100 and 94 dB speakers is 6 dB (duh) which is like a 1W amp compared to a 5W amp. You have to look at what and how you play to narrow down what you want.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  9. printer2

Not sure if a sub-1W amp will compress all that much.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  10. JohnnyCrash

He might also have good luck buying a raw 1x10” cab and cutting it for a chassis.

11. JohnnyCrash

I need my coffee this morning...

And I’m even building the same circuit! Yeah, 1 watt isn’t really going to push a Legend 1028.

12. Dbsoundman

Dbsoundman TDPRI Member

Well the decision was sort of made for me today! Went to my local guitar shop today and they had this empty Marshall cab for $25.
    DC3BC659-7906-4EBF-8F3F-35C0AC81C306.jpeg

It’s set up for a 12” speaker though, not sure if I’ll refit for 10” or just use a 12” yet.

Huddy likes this.
  13. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

You could make or buy (I think Weber Speakers has them) a 12 to 10" adapter.

14. printer2

"Oh no! More options."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.