‘Nuther Homemade Tool: Marking Gauge

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Axis29, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’ve had a Veritas metal marking gauge for forever and a day. My only complaints with it are the fence is too small and there is no measurement markings on the shaft (it’s an old version, before they started putting that on them. But, it was mostly about the fence size. So....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    just grabbed some scrap.. I had some teak I used for the bar and knob. I think it’s sapelle for the fence. I did buy a couple of brass screws to hold the blade in place and a bigger brass bolt for the knob. Had a brass threaded insert for the knob. Also, used a little more of an old recip blade for the marking blade. also, I did buy the metal ruler off Amazon for a buck-nineteen.

I really love this thing and have begun reaching for it all the time now. Plus, I used a few more small scraps from around the shop and practiced some morticing skills.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    screefer, RogerC, brandonh and 6 others like this.
  2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

wow

brandonh and Axis29 like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

elegant solution

Axis29 likes this.
  4. Axis29

Oh, come on, it ain't all that! LOL (although, I did get lucky with the flame in the sapelle... really kinda makes it pop!)

None of it is really original ideas. The whole thing is based very loosely on older wooden marking gauges and Japanese style marking gauges. I guess the one thing I did that was mine-ish, was making the body fit my hand. That really does make it a pleasure to use. I'll take credit for that! LOL

Oh, forgot to mention, I finished it with three coats fo boiled linseed oil and a couple of coats of amber shellac. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite finishes for tools and thing I use on the regular. Might do my next neck in it (I've always loved shellacked necks)

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nice work John! I recently built one which uses a pencil to provide the mark and even though it was a 10 second wonder, it seems to do the job. Mine doesn't have the luxury or a ruler attached but I built it out of some old Ozzie red-gum and to hold it in the correct spot I tapped a thread into the wood itself and an old bolt from the scraps bucket holds onto the sliding beam. The real old red gum just about showers you in sparks when you bandsaw it, just about hard as steel!

DC

Axis29 likes this.
  6. Axis29

Dave, I debated a pencil as a marker (and I still may make one that holds a pencil).

I am contemplating making one or two for Xmas gifts this year... I might do a typical Japanese style with a long metal cutter and a wedge. They're fun to make and you can crank 'em out pretty quickly!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.