‘85 Squiet strat identification?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bassfordays, Jan 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Bassfordays

Bassfordays NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys im new here! I am gassing for a new strat and currently have my eyes on a supposedly ‘85 squier strat (that makes it a MIJ right?).
    Now, I asked the owner for a clear headstock pic, and where it was made bit for some reason he did not answer that (maybe he isn’t knowledgeable about guitars).

I do have a MIJ '83 Squier precision bass and from what I can tell from the pics the finish and craftsmanship look fairly similar. I am hoping this is a MIJ E series strat but I am no expert in this field. In a few days im going to cautiously check it out and I wondered of you guys could tell me its worth the hassle for €300.

thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

From what I remember, 85 was when the SQ serial, 70s Reissues came about. At that time, Japan only, I don't think Fender was even making guitars in the USA at that time.
    If it's not an SQ number, it should start E5, otherwise. SQ guitars had 70s style heads and logos. E series had modern heads with silver Fender logo and small style model type.

The US situation was that CBS was in the process of selling Fender to what is now FMIC. They sold the business and machinery to them, but not the building, so for a while, Fender had their guitars made in Japan, while a new factory was built.

3. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Should be MIJ, could be MIK. I'm not at home for a few days otherwise I'd look up some dates and serial number ranges in this book.. If you can track down a copy at a library or book store you might get the info you need. Should be a quality axe..
    images (2).jpeg

4. Bassfordays

Bassfordays NEW MEMBER!

Thank you for the info, ill look out for the E5 serial nr. I figured it wasnt a reissue because of the font, tuners and trussrod adjustment, I just hope it isn't a plywood body.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If it's a MIJ Squier it says MIJ or actually Made in Japan, on it.
    Should be right on the headstock but I haven't seen them all.
    I liked all that I've had, seems like a good price if it's similar to USD/ $.

6. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

7. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Looks correct for 1985 Squier. Nice rounded fret board/poly finish and correct string trees. Should have serial # on front of headstock( i think in a light grey silver print.)thats why it is not visable on the poor headstock photo. Also should say Made in Japan also on the front.
    I had a 85 Squier MIJ telecaster a few years ago but sold it due to fret wear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.