‘78 Tele Antigua finish w/ rosewood fretboard. Is it original?

ironiccoincidence

TDPRI Member
Anyone able to tell me if this 1978 tele in Antigua finish is original. I know the pickguard has been replaced, but did they make these with rosewood fretboards? If you could also put a value to it that would be great. Any help appreciated.

2C810BD5-B8A8-45F2-A436-212B06A3C92C.jpeg
6C6404E9-E8E5-4236-B21E-9303F98CE396.jpeg
6DFF2407-39FE-4E37-9E27-3D46B316A417.jpeg
FA005AC0-8718-444C-9668-2CF5605ADF19.jpeg

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Tough call. I've seen a lot of those and they usually turn a somewhat hideous greenish color.

The top of 70's pegheads most often turn reddish too. Much darker than what you're showing there.

The reticulation around the edge of the body does not look right to me either. Guitars from that area had a heavy polyurethane coat that was impervious to most abuse.

The other thing is, a body that was so abused would make for an equal appearance of abuse on the peghead. For the top of that peghead to have such a clear color, it is unlikely it was exposed to the same conditions that caused finish cracks in the body,

I won't swear this is a relic job, but I am a bit leery of it's authenticity.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The shape of the horn grabbed my attention; it does not look right. I though maybe it was a misshapen pick guard, but no.

Look at the picture of the back of that body. Then google 1978 telecaster backside. The horn shape is off; more than just a sanding error.

This looks like a knockoff body that was cheaply made.

I could be wrong; I am not an expert, and maybe it's just the picture angle. It just strikes me as off.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
The shape of the horn grabbed my attention; it does not look right. I though maybe it was a misshapen pick guard, but no.

Look at the picture of the back of that body. Then google 1978 telecaster backside. The horn shape is off; more than just a sanding error.

I could be wrong; I am not an expert, and maybe it's just the picture angle. It just strikes me as off.

What wood should it be, if original? First thing I thought when I saw the grain was ‘pine’.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Went back to look and I’d have to agree. The horn looks off.

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Looks like body is either non-Fender or has been butchered, with neck and hardware from the same period added.

standup

TDPRI Member
This is what my 79 Precision looks like. Not relic’ed, the wear is from my very own forearm and 30 years of gigs. The fingerboard is maple. The finish color is much closer to an avocado than the guitar at the top of the thread.

Attachments

• 9398F0F0-B8A9-453C-B509-791439962F6F.jpeg
    9398F0F0-B8A9-453C-B509-791439962F6F.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 46

blues

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
There are with rosewood board models. If you buy it you might want to check the intonation :eek:

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The peg head is pretty dirty with some knocks from what I can see. The faces only go really orange with nicotine stains as far as I can tell… Most are just a bit darker. My ‘73 Deluxe is well played and the headstock is only slightly darker than the poly.

I’d ask people doubting the contours and horn to do an image search for 1978 Antigua Teles. They are many cut appallingly. I mean really really badly. The factory was reputedly using worn-out templates from the early 70s by this point and it shows. I suspect it’s a little distorted by the camera lens too.

While I’d like to see the neck pocket markings on this to verify things, this could just be the extremes of Fender’s sloppy body shapes at the time.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
I dunno. I’d expect an original to be a lot more boogery colored. Plus, poly doesn’t wear like that, and the finish doesn’t look nearly thick enough for a 70s Fender.

All else looks legit. A peek in the neck pocket and at the neck heel will confirm.