‘73 Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Luthier Vandros, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

Hey, all.

Got a line on a pretty clean 73 Super. All maintenance to date. Original CTS alnicos, trannies, etc. Great price.

Can anyone shed some light on this circuit and what one could expect vs the blackface version?

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

See how it sounds. I have a '72, same specs, but it was blackfaced at some point before I bought it. Probably pretty easy to have an amp tech blackface it for you if you don't like it in silver face configuration. Either way I don't see how you can lose as long as you're up for hauling it about...

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just add added adjustable bias to my '71 ($15 in parts, if that, and an hour's time). Also have the CTS alnicos. Those are easily worth the price of admission.

Not much to know, IMO. As long as the cab isn't destroyed, and the transformer date codes look right, then buy with confidence, if the price is right.

BobbyZ and Luthier Vandros like this.
  4. Luthier Vandros

I might jump on it bc it’s way below market. Gah was trying to go small!

5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I have a late 1971 SR (inspection stamps on the chassis say Nov 71). I could have blackfaced it but liked the silverface sound enough to leave it, other than caps and things that need replacing.
    I really like the alnico CTS speakers.

I just had Wally modify the Normal channel to more of a higher mids tweed-type sound and enabling vibrato and reverb, while keeping the Vibrato/Reverb channel stock. He also added an adjustable NFB pot. I just got it back 2 days ago and am still playing around with it, but I am very pleased with it.

6. Luthier Vandros

Right on, Rufus. I have heard a few sf’s that I wouldn’t want modded at all. They were all early 70’s however.

7. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Yes...Four years ago, luckily I had an honest amp tech that recommended playing it with silverface specs before changing anything but would blackface it , if I wanted. He said the 71 circuit was not tremendously different than the blackface...and I found it to be close enough, to my ears.

I was corresponding with Wally about possible mods to the Normal channel and I liked his recommendations enough to pull the chassis and UPS it to him for modification. He has been on this forum long enough that I knew he was an honest and trustworthy man, and I am very happy with the results.

I will probably start a thread soon about what he did. I never used the Normal channel before, but now its like having another amp in addition to the SR.

Wally and Luthier Vandros like this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Are you referring to the "T" of "F" numbers stamped on the inside or outside (respectively) of the chassis?

9. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I would have to look again, but there is at least one name inkstamped inside and maybe outside the chassis, in addition to "Nov 71".
    The speaker codes, tranny and all parts I could check all date to 1971.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

No longer have amp, needed $$ ( dang!), but I owned wonderful a 1968 Deluxe Reverb, and my amp tech buddy, did a very similar mod to the Normal channel.
    He called it the ' Half-Tweed' mod, which basically increased mids, and the Reverb and Trem also now could be used.
    I would use that in any ' chatty' bright/noisy bar ( hard surfaces) just to tame a bright DR.

Have no use for ( now) or $$, but a Super Reverb is my Holy Grail big boy Fender amp.

By buddy has a '68 and a '61 SG RI, that I use at his BBQ Home jams and talk about a fun combo!

Luthier Vandros and Rufus like this.
  11. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Don't know anything about the silverface super reverbs, other than hearing that the early silverfaces sound very good. When you go to check it out I would definitely turn it up, starting around 5 and on up to 10. I tend to run my blackface on the vibrato channel with the bright switch on and controls roughly at, Treble = 8.5; Middle = 8; Bass = 3, with a strat volume knob rolled back to around 6.5. At 5 on the amp volume, it sounds angelic. At 10 it gets mean. Give it a clean boost and it really gets mean.

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

ew! YES, oh you luck man, there's nothing like a Super good luck.

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a '73 SR that had the CTS alnicos, wish it still did. Of course I blackfaced it, because that's just what you did 20 years ago. I don't think that made it sound better at all.
    If I had it to do over again I would've just changed all the electrolytics. Then added a voltage put to the bias balance set up, super easy, 5 minutes and 5 bucks or less for a trim pot and a resister. And I wouldn't been more careful where I put those CTSs as issues developed with them. Due to loud playing and probably more so bad storage conditions over the years.
    I was thinking about dumping it when I got a blackface Deluxe Reverb but over all its a better sounding amp.
    I need to put next to the '66 BFSR I've got now too. If it's like my two Twin Reverbs, I'll prefer the silverface.

Really nice thing about silverfaces is you can safely run a 5u4. Nice thing about 73 is no master, none of the early SF dog turd caps, and as I recall they don't have the lower voltage. Plus they're cheaper than a drip edge that can have all those things.
    Some say the cabs suck compared to the BF style but that's really a load of crap. They're fine.

Luthier Vandros and moosie like this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have about the same year. Dont blackface it. I did beta testing
    for awhile with some .

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It should be superb, not much different than BF. If you like it, leave it as is!

16. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

"Got a line on a pretty clean 73 Super. All maintenance to date. Original CTS alnicos, trannies, etc. Great price."

Well....that's a non-master volume model and desribes what I'd be looking for in a SFSR. I have a wonderful 74......same amp.

The Super Reverb is "too big, too loud, too heavy, impractical, etc." and not "in fashion" nowadays. It is also one of the most heavenly sounding amps ever built IMHO. I love 'em!

If you love the tone and price is good........well, I think it's obvious what I'd do;)

ps - I don't consider the non- master SFSR to be inferior to the BFSR.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  17. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

I have a '73 SR (paid $250 for it about 1992) that I "tweedy-fied" the normal channel, too. Using a Radial Engineering Twin City ABY allows me to switch between the Trem channel and the Normal channel OR use BOTH channels together. Setting the phase switch puts the two channels in phase.

Several years ago I blackfaced it which didn't require much more than converting the bias balance to fixed adjustable, clipping a couple of caps on the power tube sockets, maybe a few resistor values to suit me (later). I did recap at the same time and changed the rectifier tube. Only thing I never did was replace the cab with one that has a floating speaker baffle. I probably never will.
    I too am very pleased with it.

After '73 or maybe '74 I think the changes made by CBS make it a little more complicated to BF.

moosie likes this.
  18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep, that's about what I do to the SFs I've had. Convert the stuff on the primary side of the PT to modern safety standards. Recap, add adjustable bias, change a few component values. Then a few simple mods: normal channel gets reverb and tremolo, as well as a tweedier tone stack. Adding the reverb also makes both channels in phase. I add a cap to the optical trem bug, to eliminate 'ticking', and I usually double the value of one of the three LFO caps, to slow the rate. And if there's a master vol and/or pull boost, I remove them.

All of that is easy, cheap, and quick. The expense is the power caps, which are needed regardless.

I don't recall it being any more difficult to deal with the mid-70s amps, but I stop at ultralinears. I don't like the sound, and I don't have the knowledge to convert them.

19. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Fantastic sounding Fender Reverb amp. I'd not BF it. Sounds great as it is. I owned a '73. Great tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.