1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

‘68 Fender Super Reverb “Fender” Logo Location

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gridlock, Feb 28, 2021.

1. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up a 1968 drip-edge black-line Fender Super Reverb yesterday.

Apparently the grill cloth was changed at sometime ago and the logo was placed too high on the left corner of the amp.

I was able somewhat hide the incorrect holes in the grill cloth and I want to reinstall the logo in the proper location.

I can’t see the original holes, and I could not find this mounting location on the internet.

Could someone give me the locations from top left corner of the amp to two screw holes in the tailed logo?

The best two screw holes in the logo would be from the top hole by the “r” and the bottom hole below the “F” on the logo (photo below).

Thanks ahead of time.
    Grid

97D1D686-271C-4E4C-8FFC-0B0240028EB5.jpeg
    C4561101-DB36-4404-BFD7-41154057FA87.jpeg
    F92E86DB-913E-43C8-9C49-5AFD2F66A8C4.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    monkeybanana and thunderbyrd like this.
  2. gridlock

Bump for a Super Reverb owner.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would take a look at some early SF examples....or BF since the baffleboards are the same. It appears that the top of the ‘d’ hits in the lower part of the third block of the grille pattern....but that also depends on how the material is fitted. And...the drip edge changes the look of it all because it covers part of the material. If I were to see the logo on your grille, I might think that because of the color difference that I see there I would leave it where it has been....but it might be too close for comfort??? I can’t judge without it being on the grille. That light ‘shadow’ might bother me more than the placement..hard to tell without seeing it if that shadow would be a distraction. Maybe the shadow would be covered??? I would probably lay the amp on its back, place the logo where it was and also at a slightly lower position, and make a judgement.

gridlock likes this.
  4. gridlock

The light faded shadow shows more in the photo than it does in natural light. I’ll definitely try the logo in the new correct position before I drill any new holes. Hopefully I’ll be able to hide the holes and minimize the faded area so not visible.

I do appreciate your input.

Thanks
    Grid

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

Grid, I did a regrilling on my recently acquired 1972 Princeton Reverb today. Looking at a couple was informative. Before Imdid that, I placed the logo on the grille and looked....I lined the logo up with the angle that the mounting block gives us....light through the grille shows that. It occurred to me that I needed to know to where that top of the ‘d’ pointed, so I slipped the chassis back in the cab and lined that up with what I saw in pictures. I did not hit the original holes, but I bet it is not far off from the original position. It then occurred to me that before applying the grille cloth, one cold drill through the board from the front...takes holes all the way through.
    Then, it would be simple to poke through the cloth from the backside when ready to apply the logo. More than one way...
    Nah, I didn’t take a picture....later for the reveal. I haven’t had a Princeton Reverb in a while.

AlbertaGriff and gridlock like this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You can see shadow of wood line baffle on mine

Attached Files:

7. Wally

Good picture. I may have to move mine??? Lol.... I like seeing that line and the line of the bottom of the logo run parallel. Yeah, I am that retentive, I suppose!! Eeeehaw. In reality, one can see different angles there.

gridlock and uriah1 like this.
  8. gridlock

Good info guys.

9. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

Maybe I don't understand the question, but you can see the exact outline of the logo on the grille cloth (?)

10. gridlock

I don’t believe that the grill cloth is original and the logo seemed to be mounted too high.

Here is a photo of basically my same amp that I found on the web. My amp is in the second photo below.

93218939-16B6-43B2-A7E2-2F188F113BEA.jpeg
    400ECDF1-FC2A-44DF-90F2-4B132248523D.jpeg

oldfish, Sidney Vicious and Wally like this.
  11. Wally

I don’t think the top amp has original cloth, either; but I do prefer the placement of its logo compared to yours. However, if the move would reveal the screw holes in the cloth, I would make no change.

Sidney Vicious and gridlock like this.
  12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

I'd still put it where it was.

Who cares.

Play music.

Wally and gridlock like this.
  13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

@gridlock
    Is that one of the removable grills that's held on by velcro? I got a couple ideas for if it is and for if its not!
    Let Me Know?
    Gene

gridlock likes this.
  14. gridlock

No Velcro, screwed in from the backside.

15. gridlock

Bump for a SF (drip-edge?) Super Reverb owner.

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

But it is removable and not part of the baffle, is that correct? It is its own separate frame/piece? If this is the case, pull the grill and slide a finger between the cloth and the area where the logo should go and feel for the original holes. You'll likely feel the incorrect ones also, but you smart enough to know which ones are which. Once you've found at least one or two of the right holes, gently poke a toothpick through from the front, into that/those hole(s). The slide the logo onto the toothpicks and replace those toothpicks with screws! Even if you only find one of the correct holes, the logo itself should help you find the others.

Worst case would be with the grill off, simply pull a few of the staples securing the cloth to expose the mounting block. Then confirm location, drill the holes all the way though (for locator pins/toothpicks) and re-stretch the cloth a little nicer than it is now. If ambitious, you could even pull more or all of the staples and re-stretch/reposition the whole grill cloth.
    Gene

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    gridlock likes this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

My Super Reverb is post-drip edge and pre-master volume, but, if it helps...the screw on the left, in the middle of the "F"is 56mm from the left edge and 46mm from the top edge. The other screw is 26mm from the top edge...

18. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

@gridlock - nice amp - I am OCD about stuff like that once I notice it and think it off - I would move it down two "grill cloth squares" - in the end for something that is strictly for looks anyway what matters is not whether or not it is right it's whether or not it looks right.

gridlock likes this.
  19. gridlock

I’ve never attempted to removed the drip edge from any amp before. I’m not sure how it’s held on. Guess I’ll study up.

20. gridlock

Thanks, I’ll measure and see how it looks.

Still hoping to get info from a similar drip edge amp.

2HBStrat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.