‘66 Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Luthier Vandros, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Afflicted

I was able to play her a bit. I returned the preamp, but need to order some glass for the poweramp. I should be able to start the cap job Monday, so I’ll open up a thread in the tech area that’ll include some nice shots of the chassis :). Man this amp sounds great at every volume level and makes my strat sound amazing, even with the volume on it rolled off a bit.

2. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

My favorite fender amp. Congrats.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

This is like being 12, and looking at a Playboy!

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I have a blackline drip edge with the CTS's, never would I run it with replacement speakers that weren't either the matching ceramic or AlNiCo. Mine had two when I got it, soon after I got a pair of '68 CTS's to go in there.

When I had mine serviced I had them do the 'verb/trem on both sides mod along with jump each side thing. It has a tendency to get a bit too bright but I found the sweet spot for me. I run into the left inputs with the bright switch up (rare for me on a Fender) but the treble at 4 or so and bass around there too. Add 'verb/trem to taste and instant holy grail tone at any volume.

Those 4 speakers will more than handle that thing up to "6" or so on the dial (unless something is wrong with them) and that's pretty damn hot sounding already. Worst case you can always re-cone...which is worth it to me. Mine's never gone about "5" in a live setting.

They are awkward to carry though, IMO my AC30 is easier to lug around as it has multiple handles.

5. Luthier Vandros

Appreciate all the replies. I was def caught off guard by how warm and fat this amp can sound while still having that sparkle up top. I’ve played a ‘65 that was very bright and thin and it colored my perception of these.

This amp has a really immersive sound stage and the reverb is just tremendous. It’s not as drippy as my old ‘67 Pro’s was. Instead of having that metal pipe tone, it’s got a really atmospheric and enveloping quality about it.

I saw a small light show in the rectifier tube, so that’s all for tonight. It’s either the crappy JJ that’s residing in the socket or one of the filter caps has shorted. Can’t wait to open her up.

Gnite!

hepular likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Here's my 66 BFSR. I was kinda bummed some nitwit replaced the original speakers and all the tubes including the Mullard GZ34 that almost never wears out. But as it turns out none of that mattered. :)
    It'll be awhile before I start the restoration. It had new Jensen C12Rs which I actually liked. Probably go with the P10RF when I get it going. I like low efficiency speakers in the things. 20201111_104954.jpg

7. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Super reverbs are great sounding amps, but they are very hard to sell due to size and WEIGHT!

I have had a few BF ones over the years and currently have a '76 SF for sale that has no interest at $800. I keep it under the bench and enjoy it every now and then,

8. Luthier Vandros

You have to start right away -- looks like she'll have some smokin' tone on tap (ba-da-boom!). I love these kinds of restos! Pulling on my heart strings brother.

EDIT: LOL! Now that I'm at my desktop, I can see that sucker has been burned to a crisp! Is this meant for April Fools?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    BobbyZ likes this.
  9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations.

10. BobbyZ

No not April fools I'm afraid, here's what it looked like the morning after. It's behind the 64 BFPR and 67 BFDR. 20201015_133208_HDR.jpg
    Thing on top was a 55 in flat screen. Lol

MrCoolGuy and Luthier Vandros like this.
  11. Luthier Vandros

Good lord, man! So much carnage in such a tight photo. Little guys looked like they were trying to get out! I’m so sorry (seriously) and hope you guys were able to get out with a few armfuls of important things and your lives. Reminds me of my house post Katrina, but the most valuable thing I had there was a 93 MR2 lol.

MrCoolGuy and BobbyZ like this.
  12. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Are you planning om restoring the amps? It's a challenge I would love to take up.

13. BobbyZ

Yeah I'm gonna restore them. Working (slowly) on the 64 Princeton Reverb now. Being the shortest kept it out of the heat, somewhat, the tubes didn't melt.
    Had a couple more fenders that took way more heat, cabs were gone but I think the chassis will at least be useable, BF Bandmaster and SFSR.
    The Ampegs and "off brand" amps were all burnt beyond recognition. Old cheap Leo used good steel in his chassis. :)

Luthier Vandros and zook like this.
  14. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Really great that you can still be positive and plan on restoring these amps Bobby. I truly admire your great attitude about all this after such a harrowing experience and loss.

Luthier Vandros and BobbyZ like this.
  15. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I don't normally comment on relic photos, but...I think that's JUST a bit extreme.

Sorry...
    My condolences on losing your amps and your positive attitude about it.
    I have a 1971 SFSR that never leaves my music room. I can't imaging selling it...or losing it.

Luthier Vandros and BobbyZ like this.
  16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Great score! Ive heard my TRAYNOR YRM-1 is kind of a cross between your SR and a JTM 45. Would love to hear them side by side 4x10 P10R alnico's. IMG_20200919_184842.jpg

17. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

Nice looking amp that 66' I use to own 65' in about same condition and loud as hell. If the amp sounds good I wouldn't take it apart.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.