‘59 Bassman 5A6F Kit

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by BV56, Jan 25, 2016.

1. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

Hello all!

I’m new here, and to “chatting” in general. Let’s hope I get it right….

Okay, here’s what I wanna’ build:

I wanna’ build a ‘59 Bassman 5A6F, but, (and I’ve never seen this before) I want 1 of the 4 speakers to be a 10” Bass Celestion BN10-200X (8 ohms, 96db sensitivity, and goes down to 45 cycles). The 45Hz is the attraction; I want thunder! The other 3 speakers will be Celestion Golds, or something similar in sensitivity. Additionally, I’ll either modify the back or fabricate a new back to accomplish a closed back system or a ported back.

Can someone weigh-in on this? Is a crossover point needed, will this set-up sound muddy, is porting better than completely sealed, and so on….

Of course I have concerns about which kit to use, or should I buy all “parts” individually, so feel free to chime in here too.

Thanks to my new friends!

Benjamin :p

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Buying a kit will likely save you some dough, but getting an upgraded heavier duty output transformer and a solid state rectifier plug-in may help you get more bass.

Why not just use four 55hz Celestions? I'm sure you could find some somewhere. I know the G12 and greenback came with 55hz cone options.

Ceramic magnets will give you more thump. Modifying the tone stack and output setup would help too.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, BV56. Fwiw......5F6A.....second incarnation---"A"----of a 1956----"5F"----Bassman---"6".
    I would build a head and cab due to your desire to have something other than an open back combo. Closing the back in a combo tube amp either totally or partially demands that one have a very large cab so that the amp chassis and tubes can get ventilation while the speakers are enclosed. See the Bassman 10 from the 70's for example...fairly large and heavy due to this type of construction. Compare that to a Super Reverb, which is shorter and lighter. Of interest, Fender built exactly one piggyback tweed 5F6A Bassman back in the day on special order. It is pictured in the Aspen Pittman books...and at last accounting was owned by some fellow in England, iirc. Beautiful amp.

4. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I'm also interested in building a 5F6A kit, subscribed!

5. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

Okay, thanks for all the swift (and detailed) replies. Not too sure if I'm supposed to reply "individually" or here, in the "Quick Reply" box. I'm choosing here so all can see (I think):

bparnell57 - I'll yield to wisdom on the transformer, rectifier, and ceramic magnets, however, I cannot find 10" Celestion "Guitar" speakers with a 55Hz rating. The G12 & Greenbacks are 12" speakers; the Bassman houses 10's.

Wally - again, thanks for the foresight on weight, heat, and history. It might be that, if the research gets too intense, I'll just buy a Fender Bassman Ltd, and change out the speakers.

bullfrogblues - Let me know where your homework leads - I'm uncertain on which kit.
    BTW, what does "subscribed" mean, in your post?

The more I read, the crazier this gets. Here's a perfect example: https://robrobinette.com/5F6A_Modifications.htm

Thank you all! Stay in touch

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I designed a "Rig of Doom" a while ago. That's a Marshall 1960a loaded with G12-65s stacked on top of a 1960b loaded with 2x EVM15L.

Bear in mind that

"Fender built the first Marshall. Marshall built the first reissue Fender."

What I mean is the Fender 5F6A and the Marshall JTM45 share the exact same circuit part for part.

I'd build up a truncated 5F6A, a "Super Bassman". That's a 5F6A chassis in a tweed Super 2x10" cabinet. Load the 2x10" cab with sumthin' bad- ass such as a couple Cajuns, a couple Lil' Buddies or a mix of those. Note that 96db from a pair of Celestions is crap sensitivity.

You might want to wire a couple 16 ohm speakers in the top cab for am 8 ohm total load.

Because...

You can stack your 2x10" on top of an extension cabinet with an EVM15L or EVM15B.

Call that a "Super Bandmaster". That's roughly a Bandmaster with a 15" on the bottom instead of another 10".

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  7. bullfrogblues

Right now I'm leaning toward the Boothill kit.
    Subscribed means I'm interested in all the responses here and will look for the notifications in my email.

8. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

bullfrogblues - yeah, it seems Boothill offers the widest latitude, meaning, you're not married to their transformers, tubes, etc. One can select their own, say from Mercury Magnetics. That appears to be the attraction anyway, yes? BTW, does any 5F6A Chassis, fit into and 4x10 Bassman Cab?

And thanks for defining "subscribe" even though I don't quite understand

All the best - Benjamin

muchxs - your "Rig of Doom" must sound glorious, but for me, I'm trying to stay in the confines of 1 combo cabinet; it maintains peace with the wife, neighbors, band-mates, and pocket. I will consider speakers other than the Celestion Golds, though.

Thanks Much muchxs, Benjamin

9. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

bullfrogblues - yeah, it seems Boothill offers the widest latitude, meaning, you're not married to their transformers, tubes, etc. One can select their own, say from Mercury Magnetics. That appears to be the attraction anyway, yes? BTW, does any 5F6A Chassis, fit into and 4x10 Bassman Cab?

And thanks for defining "subscribe" even though I don't quite understand

All the best - Benjamin

10. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

muchxs - your "Rig of Doom" must sound glorious, but for me, I'm trying to stay in the confines of 1 combo cabinet; it maintains peace with the wife, neighbors, band-mates, and pocket. I will consider speakers other than the Celestion Golds, though.

Thanks Much muchxs, Benjamin

11. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Can't have those and the "thunder" you desired in the first post. :lol:

Regardless, it's hard to go wrong building a 5F6A-type circuit. Go for it and enjoy.

12. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

Yea, I want the whole cake and I wanna' eat it too. But you're right - can't really go wrong with circuitry. Thanks for the support!

13. bullfrogblues

Basically means I am interested in this subject, and will continue to monitor all the posts in this thread.

14. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

Oh okay, now I see.....

15. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

First: love the "Fender built the first Marshall. Marshall built the first reissue Fender.", so true.

Second: truncated cab + extension is a great plan. I did the same myself with a MusicMan HD130 210. The thing was about the size of a Bandmaster head, but had a couple of eminence 10s in there. Threw in a pair of JBLs, then paired it with a home-made 1x15 made to match, loaded with a JBL K140(?). Talk about thunder.

Third: Try a Marshall "Bluesbreaker" combo. You might like it, should give you what you like. You can build these from kits as well.

P.

16. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

Yea, the Fender/Marshall is a catchy (and truthful) slogan.....

I thought about a Bluesbreaker - Perhaps after the Bassman (I hope the wife the wife isn't reading this)

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

A Bluesbreaker was/is a 5F6A clone. If you build the Bassman and the Bluesbreaker with the same transformers, run the same tubes biased to the same point, and run them through the same speakers, you will hear the same sounds. Explain that one to the wife. (;^) If she is like mine, her ears would tell her that I had just expended some funds needlessly as far as sound was concerned. My wife can hear that well....and she is not a musician!

18. BV56

BV56 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I never thought about the hearing component to the dilemma. Thanks for the heads up! And yes, my wife hears well too. Of course, I could reverse the argument and say something like this: "honey, you just expended some funds needlessly on those John Madden shoes, when functionally they do the same thing as you Ferragamo's, Burberry's, Gucci's, ..." and so on. But I know from know, I lose the argument (even though her shoe collection = a 1959 original bassman, a '57 Les Paul, and an average priced SUV. Perhaps I'll try slipping in an AC30 instead!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.