£150 solid state recommendation without FX?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fretful, Jun 21, 2007.

1. fretful

fretful Tele-Meister

I'm after a solid state practice amp without digital effects and amp modelling: simple reverb and a nice tone for the Tele is all I require - any recommendations? 20-30W & 2 channels a bonus...

2. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

The VOX Pathfinder 15R might be nice.

Check out the Kustom Dual 30RC.

Hughes & Kettner used to have nice SS practice amps in 15, 30 & 60 watts, but they've now got built-in effects (and a higher price tag). This 15w one seems like the older, simpler model.

The Fender FrontMan series is very affordable. I've plugged into the 15R, 25R and 212 and couldn't get a sound I liked. I didn't spent much time trying, however -- they might fit the bill perfectly.

3. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Hello Fretful,

you'll get lots of great advice from folks here, but bear in mind a lot of them are in the States where gear is a LOT cheaper.

You don't say whether yore buying new or second hand. If I was you Id go for SH (probably ebait) and almost anything fender pre all this digi-modelling stuff.

My old champion 110 is utterly solid and reliable, cost me about £60 including delivery and sounds FANTASTIC to my ears, solid state or not. Its 30 watts and loud at that, ive used it for lots of gigs and love it.

Great cheap Fender tone + great Fender reverb!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. fretful

fretful Tele-Meister

I'd buy s/h and wish I'd kept a Fender Champ valve amp (red knobs) that I sold several years ago. The Fender 110 looks the part; eBay time later, I think. Thanks for pointers...

I played through a Kustom 72 valve twin - not something I'm considering or could afford - a few weeks ago and it was the best sounding amp I've ever heard.

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Very true, though the current USD-to-GBP exchange rate is in your favor!. I lived in London in 2001, but wasn't buying guitar kit back then. Are there UK versions of places like Guitar Center, Musician's Friend or Sweetwater?

Maybe one day I'll be back! Have a pint for me. Cheers...

6. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I love most of the Peaveys in fact I can't recall playing my Joe Pass through any Solid State Peavey that didn't sound fantabulous. It's amazing when you come to realize that there are thousands upon thousands of Peavey products that have been running problem free day in and day out for over 30 years.
    If I had ONE PEAVEY WISH (just one Hartley) it would be a Studio Pro with a 15" speaker - nothin' fancy - just a regular Sheffield 15" in a Studio Pro. Probably the only "non-kit built Amp" I'd ever buy sealed in a box brand new.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.