¡NGMD!

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
DC3B79E2-9220-41C2-89AD-672120EFA57E.jpeg
I’ve wanted to get my paws on one of these for quite some time, and yesterday I received an early birthday present: a guitarrón Mexicano!

The learning curve seems like it will be steep. High action, no frets, everything in two-note octaves...it’s going to take some mental readjustment from how I approach either guitar or electric bass. If I sound an octave on it in tune right now, it’s a total accident. But it sounds big, boomy, resonant and cool.

Off to the woodshed...

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Awesome! I just got me a Bajo Sexto, pretty strong learning curve there too, plays like a anvil! I love the music played on these things.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Awesome! I just got me a Bajo Sexto, pretty strong learning curve there too, plays like a anvil! I love the music played on these things.

Pics!!! We need pics! I’d love to check out that axe.

(¿Machete?)

Despite my TDPRI name, I am not well-versed in traditional Mexican music. I have this dim, vague, YouTube- and Google-fueled notion that guitarrónes go with mariachi music and bajo sextos go with norteño music, but I have a lot of listening to do.

I just got done playing the most bonehead stupid little melody on the guitarrón, trying to do A, C, D and E octaves in tune, checking each one against the tuner in the BandLab app on my phone. My consistency is...awful. And my fingertip calluses from playing electric bass are going to need some beefing up. And I’m going to need strap pins and a strap; otherwise it’s like trying to hold a dory or a rowboat on your lap at an angle. But man, it’s pretty cool anyway. Feeling that giant featherweight body resonating against you is a kick. I think it’s going to be a blast once my fingers stop falling off.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
Very cool. The REAL acoustic bass guitar. Good luck with it. I think that it should have applications far beyond Mariachi music, they just haven't been applied that way. Yet.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Too cool.

Time to fire up Los Lobos among others.

My cousin just said the same thing!

I keep thinking of it probably sounding pretty cool in a role like the upright bass filled on the first Soul Coughing album, “Ruby Vroom:”

That second one would be some wicked-fast left hand work on a guitarrón...it’s good to have goals, they say.

I want to learn the traditional intended application also, but I am hoping to find some unexpected places to use it.

@IMMusicRulz,
I think it sounded great in the Eagles’ “New Kid in Town.”

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Interestingly, within a week of receiving this, I happened to be talking to my uncle, who lives in Los Angeles and I rarely see...anyway, he just kind of mentioned “oh, a guitarrón? I have one of those! It’s been a wall hanger in my living room for, like, thirty-something years!” Got a few pics...wonder how well those non-geared wooden tuning pegs work...

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
I was thinking that one can be used for a typical acoustic duo or trio. I used to play electric bass with two guys playing acoustic guitars and we all sang. Lots of Beatles tunes and the like. Sone of ut would be a stretch with a guitarron, but you can start with roots and 5ths. Play blues, even. Think Dusty.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 928262 I’ve wanted to get my paws on one of these for quite some time, and yesterday I received an early birthday present: a guitarrón Mexicano!

The learning curve seems like it will be steep. High action, no frets, everything in two-note octaves...it’s going to take some mental readjustment from how I approach either guitar or electric bass. If I sound an octave on it in tune right now, it’s a total accident. But it sounds big, boomy, resonant and cool.

Off to the woodshed...

Terrific!! I’ve always gravitated towards guitarrón! Have Fun!!

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
View attachment 928262 I’ve wanted to get my paws on one of these for quite some time, and yesterday I received an early birthday present: a guitarrón Mexicano!

Off to the woodshed...
You might like this song, Voice of the Big Guitar.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Tomorrow the guitarrón goes back to the shop for a small—I hope—repair where the two halves of the back meet at the neck heel. Looks like the glue line has separated slightly. Also, I’m getting strap pins installed, so I can get all
62E5E96A-1FDF-49A9-8992-A54C498FE54F.jpeg

I’m going to miss it while it’s laid up in the shop...

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
It only contains four guitarrón notes, which is about all I can hit reliably at this point, but it contains them a lot, for 42 seconds:

I’m sneaking up on those flats and sharps, and that F though. Watch out.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Guitarrón Mexicano update day!!!

I am getting better very slowly. Some of my notes sound almost in tune, and I can make more of the fingering shapes, and transition from one to another better. The odd upward pinching/plucking motion on the string pairs is feeling more natural.

I got a turquoise suede strap and then ordered some colorful strings to accentuate it—very unlike me; I’m a little embarrassed—and then my dog managed to eat the strap without knocking the instrument over or damaging it. Sort of a mixed deal there.

Haven’t replaced the strap yet, but here’s the guitarrón with the fan-cee new strings on it:
DD1CBE12-7BB3-450F-88BC-B9B5B17C484E.jpeg
56DBDA42-BC8E-4FC0-BB15-DA19C9AFC1BF.jpeg