Separate names with a comma.
I've decided to bypass the Solarez products for the current build, it's a can of worms. The sanding coat seems good, but I have great luck with...
Thank you for your insight.
I had unrelated issues today, so time was very limited.
I managed one fairly wet coat of sanding sealer, barely...
I've been experimenting with Solarez products for the past few days, having problems getting it to fully cure. Two different black lights, as well...
[ATTACH] Rosette time.
I've done that on other builds, but like to feel my way along on these, for whatever reasons. Something about staying true to hand building, I guess.
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Starting to clean up and rough shape some necks. Always a part I enjoy.
Went ahead and glued up the rest of the backs, sides, cleated the back seams.
Little by little, gaining on these...
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] Capped the end of the body, got the back in order, glued it home.
I usually close the back last, but with the weird weather...
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Got the top installed on the thinline.
Woods are all dry, they should really pop when they get some finish on 'em.
Little by little, gaining on things. Funny how doing 3 of every step slows things down, but still saves time overall.
Enough joy for one...
Once the braces were radiused and set, I started fitting some of the components together, to make sure things fit.. not bad. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
[ATTACH] Needed a little extra weight to hold the center down..
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Got the center block cleaned up, glued in. Leveled both faces, cut out the top.
Initial glue-up of back bracing
Final glue-up. [ATTACH]
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]
Made some crossgrain seam strips, Honduras mahogany..
Then made some quartersawn back braces, radiused them to give...
Ye gods. Rained all night, still soggy outside. Up to 73% now.
It's been ok so far, weird weather conditions all spring. Sitting here at 60%, everything is still stable. So far, anyhow...
[ATTACH] [ATTACH] Getting the bracing on. Slowly but surely, it'll get done. 36 pieces between the three instruments.
[ATTACH] Also made some maple reinforcements to strengthen the output jack mount.
[ATTACH] Made a big pile of side braces from quartersawn redwood. Silly little details take time, but they should help the longevity of the...
[ATTACH] Kinda tied up with other projects today, I finished restoring a '64 Mustang.. that took some doing.[ATTACH]
It's a pretty traditional shape for a Cretan laouto. We built one for a client, of our own design, then adapted to guitar and other instruments....
[ATTACH] Slicing and dicing some old, weathered redwood into useful pieces..
Quartersawn redwood is nice and stiff, very stable, lightweight....
[ATTACH] And the fun continues. ;)
No end in sight, yet, but progress nonetheless.
Rock maple, sycamore, red cedar,walnut, walnut.
Should do the trick. [ATTACH]