Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Top's lyrics meaning - I gotsta get paid

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by RaistMagus, Mar 21, 2013.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2010
    Denmark/Greece
    Since english is not my mother tongue and since I haven't spent time in the US, I don't have the slightest idea what Mr. Gibbons is talking about...

What are the lighters, why does he have them on his dressa (?), why is number 25 special, and so on. I don't get a single verse, I think this song is full of slang, right?

Here are the lyrics:

25 lighters on my dressa, yessa
    You know I gotta get paid

25 lighters on my dressa, yessa
    You know I gotsta get paid

I got 25 lighters on my 25 folks
    Gonna break the bank run 25 more
    Bout to reap the suits with 25 flows
    I got 25 lighters well don't cya know
    25 flight diamonds in my ring
    25 12s in the trunks to bang, oh lord
    Make it move makin 25 mill'
    Goin off a big don 99 seville cmon

Zig and me slammin 'bout 25 doors

Representing for the doors that holdin 25 more

Zz done put 25 out the door

Hittin the highway gon' do it, took 25 shows

Uh, cmon
    Just check me out
    All I got is a 25 ahaha

And the link to the cool vid and tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaIZWjItReI

2. Blackhawk777

Blackhawk777 TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2013
    United States
    That was awesome. No insight on what he's talking about, but the video was just awesome.

That brunette :eek:

3. rbrown

rbrown Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2010
    St Louis, Mo

4. rbrown

rbrown Tele-Meister

Oct 5, 2010
    St Louis, Mo
    from my incite into rap music :rolleyes: I believe he means he's got a lot of lighters but no weed (marijuana) he needs some money, to buy some.

5. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2010
    Denmark/Greece

6. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2010
    Denmark/Greece
    Answering my own question:

In the 90s, Gold Star Services/Foam Box became the home of the local Houston rap scene. One time when visiting the studio, Moon played Gibbons a track by Houston rappers DJ DMD Feat Lil Keke & Fat Pat called 25 Lighters. “I got 25 lighters on my dresser, yessir, I gotsta get paid” was the line that stuck with Gibbons – a reference to the street drug dealer’s practice of using the empty shells of Bic lighters to stash their cocaine.

From http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/...hip-hop-roots-of-zz-tops-new-single-revealed/

7. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

I gotsta get paid to get those hawt models...um...cars

jaimee

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yet, another great music history lesson.

And a fantastic video!!!

Thank you!

9. TotallyReptiles

TotallyReptiles Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2013
    Gainesville, GA

10. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Oct 13, 2009
    San Marcos, Ca
    Sounds to me like DJ DMD Feat Lil Keke & Fat Pat are getting paid on this song!
    Royalties all the way to the bank....Yessir

11. Mountaintwanger

Mountaintwanger Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2007
    North of Seattle
    From Wikipedia " ZZ Top also ranks 80th in U.S. album sales, with 25 million units " Maybe he is trying to say something? The rap song might of gave Billy a spark? I love the song!

12. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Van Nuys, Ca
    And Billy's playing a Tele in the Vid.

13. Sceeter

Sceeter TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Holiday, Fl
    It's about wanting crack. When using a crack stem, to get the crack to burn you have to turn the flame high and hold it on the stem for long enough to burn it. By the time a hit is finished the lighter is too hot to use again. People who do a lot of crack learn to keep a line of lighters that they rotate so they have a cool lighter for the next hit.

14. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Oct 13, 2009
    San Marcos, Ca
    Amazing that he got that song out of this one:

15. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2012
    Pacific Rim USA
    I see the ZZ is touring with Mr. Jeff Beck this summer, sounds like a good time and I hope JB gets up on stage with them for a few tunes.

16. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

Jul 21, 2010
    McKinney, TX

17. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 24, 2008
    New Zealand
    I don't care what it's about. It could be complete jibberish and I wouldn't care. (Actually not knowing anything about the drug scene I wouldn't have even associated it with that - but I am very gullible!)

But I do love the whole song. The guitar sounds like its about to rip the speaker cone to bits; the Rev's voice is just so damn gutteral and intense; the cars so cool and what can I say about the ladies........??

It's everything that a ZZ song and vid should be...........!

(I am a big fan - but you might have spotted that!)

18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Like the rods and babes, but meeeeeeh...on the tune. Don't hate it but now that I've heard it I'm done.

19. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 4, 2005
    Ohio
    See, the song gives away something that's been true since the 80s. Whereas the 70s ZZ Top was indeed from Texas, the wicked coolness of their early albums helped them to also exist in an astral plane, one that is filled with very cool hot rods and ridiculously attractive women, none who appear to be over 25.

Now remember the 80s videos? That showed ZZ and the ladies' journeys from that plane into our reality (well, our 80s reality). But the new video shows what it's like on the other side. Where Billy cruises in the cool car and the ladies pose, and dance and give chase. Billy can cross these planes at will, as long as he's groovin' and somewhere 25 lighters are lit (they don't have to be in the same place). However, in order for the ladies to cross into our plane, not only do lighters need lit, but the music must be accompanied by synthesizers.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

20. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Like most great tunes, its about either 1) possession with intent to distribute or 2) having a crippling addiction to crack cocaine.

Enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.