Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Topp- Sharped Dressed Man

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jonkay1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Zagnut

Zagnut Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2009
    Seattle
    Could be a little translation work involved.

http://fxfreaks.blog129.fc2.com/blog-entry-40.html

2. Easywombat

Easywombat TDPRI Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Cambridge, England

3. SeizeTheDave

SeizeTheDave TDPRI Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Charlotte,NC
    There's always the option of changing the cap value of your tone pot to something much lower than the standard .047mF or .022 mF (microF). I have a 2200nF (may be a 2700) cap on my Les Paul and find it great for playing Tush if you roll the Tone Pot to 0. It's not a perfect match, but it definitely gives it a very noticeable different sound similar to the 'wah cocked at 3/4' as posted above. I also find the sounds in between a bit more workable than a standard tone pot. If you're very reliant on your tone pot, as is, to get certain sounds for your songs this isn't a reliable option. But if you're a Tone at 10 type of guy, this is worth considering.

4. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    Gibbons uses so many different tones, its tough to nail one down. Theres long been the myth that he used a Rockman for the Eliminator album, but, at least one engineer claims at least some of that album was done with Gibbons old Legend amp, cranked up so loud that the guitar lines had to be recorded one at a time (feedback, string noise, etc)

could be just more Gibbons myth and smokescreen, he's famous for that.

last few tours I've been invited to, Billys live gear is a refrigerator-sized rack with several 31band EQs (one for each guitar) and a Marshall JMP rack preamp. thats pretty much his live sound, amp cabinets and little statues of dog distortion are all fake and purely for show. However his road studio engineer also told me that at every town, guys come out of the woodwork to give Billy guitars, amps, and pedals, and he is a notorious collector and horder, so he often tries a lot of them, and who knows what ends up on the albums.

i was in a cover band that played Sharp Dressed man and I just used whatever cranked out overdrive I was using for everything else, maybe Zoom, or maybe just my Marshall, whatever I was using at the time. Always went over well, packed the dancefloor most nights. Getting the riffs smooth and the playing down is a lot more important than nailing the tone..

Sweet Home Alabama - Rodney Mills told me that song was all Twins, almost dimed. He told me a lot of great Skynyrd stories.

6. Zagnut

Zagnut Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2009
    Seattle
    You ought to write a book Wrong Note Rod! I know I should be practicing, well not now, I'm at work. Guess I ought to be working. :D I love reading this stuff! Love ZZ Top's stuff and just bought Skynyrd's Second Helping. Forgot just how good that album is.

7. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    We play La Grange, Fool for Your Stockings and Jesus Just Left Chicago. I play a tele into Dano Drive (OCD clone) into a 5E3 Deluxe. It gets me close enough for the dives I play in. Of course, Maybe its the BBQ and Shiner beer that makes the tone.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Yes. I went to Lee about 20 years after he did. He's definitely from Houston. Family lived in Tanglewood when he was growing up.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    Just got my second Dano Drive CTO-1 (sold my first one like a dummy last year) just last week! Fun rock pedal with a lot of range in those 3 controls- great for hard rocking crunch and sustain, and still maintain clarity-I can see doing earlier ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Allmans etc., with this pedal.

10. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

After a lot of research, I found that the Tech 21 British series pedal nails the Sharp Dressed Man guitar tone very well. It purports to deliver the sound of a cranked up Marshall Stack through any amp. It sounds great on You Tube, so I've ordered one.

11. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2003
    South Dakota
    ScrewDriver or Les Luis

12. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    Catalinbread Formula#5 does the tweed thing the best, but for what you want and I have tried a BUNCH I would say the best pedal is the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. It has the 808 side that nails the tubescreamer tone, and the Hyde side will nail the Marshall sound. I have it and between the two sides can nail the Rev's tone..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.