Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Topp- Sharped Dressed Man

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jonkay1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. jonkay1

jonkay1 Tele-Meister

I play in a cover band that does a little bit of everything. I'm using a Fulltone GT500 pedal, which I really like, for overdrive and distortion. I want to get another pedal to use with it that will kind of give me that ZZ Topp kind of distortion. I don't need to sound precisely like that, but more or less in the ball park. I'm considering either a Rat or an OCD. Am I on the right track? Any suggestions or opinions? How about Lynard Skynards' guitar sound on Sweet Home Alabama? Will the Rat or OCD suffice for that as well?

2. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2009
    NY
    I use a BBE green screamer on both of those songs. The gain is real low for sweet home, if not even just boosted volume sounding. Crank the gain a little motte and play on the bridge for "shotglass man"

3. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Sorry man none will suffice.
    1. You need to be in TX to get said tones.
    2. I'm not sure about your personal mojo but it's important to keep the gain on it mellow.
    3. You have to be in TX.

Actually, I played La Grange last night and I used a Keely modded TS-9 and I get an acceptable sound out of it.

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Good friend of mine uses the OCD, loves doing The Rev Billy G's tone all night long on the Les Paul, would recommend that over the RAT for Texas mojo tone.

Love Billy Gibbons... Local Houston boy did good..

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston

6. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    For Eliminator and Afterburner tunes you need a Tom Scholz Rockman distortion generator.

[​IMG]

7. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2003
    South Dakota
    The CB's Dirty Little Secret will do it. Plexidrive. Les Luis will do the ZZ material as well.

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Zvex Distorton will get you enough Marshall sounding dirt to get you there. too.

9. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    The OCD keeps your amps tone real good. Great with my Marshall amps. It also dresses up my Fender amps too. I play a few ZZTOP songs.

10. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2009
    Calera, Alabama
    I'm with Ed Boyd, I too thought he used a Rockman.

11. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Jun 9, 2009
    north alabama
    the rockett animal will do all that and then some!! no better plexi sound in a stompbox. period!!

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    Playing a Les Paul (or a guitar with a bridge Humbucker) helps too.

BG used a combination of Marshalls, Fenders and a highly modified Rockman. I believe he had the delay/reverb and the chorus disengaged.

13. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Texas
    It will be tough to get in that ballpark. There was some serious studio tomfoolery to creating those guitar sounds.

14. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

May 1, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    Another thing that will help is a 3/4 cocked wah with the tone rolled down a little bit.

15. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

Oct 6, 2008
    Amarillo TX
    We play 4 or 5 ZZ Top songs. For me the key is to get somewhere close. I don't think there is a specific pedal(s). I like a Marshally sound to get there. Don't know what BFG used on any given song.

16. hou35male

hou35male Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I believe Billy is originally from Dallas and Frank and Dusty are from Houston.

Either way, I only live 3 miles from Frank's home. :lol:

To the OP, I know that it's been mentioned on here before that Billy NOW uses a few Zoom pedals. Back then, it could have been anything.

17. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2004
    Tampa Bay, FL
    My heart broke a little bit when some time ago I found out Eliminator is all Rockman.

18. cuzzinmark

cuzzinmark Tele-Meister

May 27, 2009
    Stevensville, MD
    I was checking this demo vid out, and at 10:35, he plays the Sharp Dressed Man riff. Man, sounds close enough for Dodge! It's a TS-style pedal, so I'm assuming that with any TS and maybe an EQ pedal to tailor the response, you could get real close.

He's got two more clips showing this pedal-I couldn't find one for sale anywhere using a google search. The clip with the PRS 513 is particularly nice, IMO...

19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Billy Gibbons is definitely a Houstonian, born and raised here, went to Robert Lee highschool. A local legend. I've seen him around town from time to time. One time I saw him at an Astros baseball game.. I didn't realize it was Farrah Fawcett sitting next to him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.