Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ-Top on BBC's The Tube

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands

Not the best sound quality but hear Gibbons GO on this.

Those eighties Dean Explorers are such cool guitars too.

2. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Do they play to a track or have another guitarist behind the curtain? The reason i ask, is that I was watching a "live" show on Palladia, i think it was filmed in Texas somewhere and I am dead certain that I heard two guitars on certain songs.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Love me some ZZ...but I've got fond high school memories of the earlier stuff. Billy's two leads on this one always did it for me. That's what a Les Paul is supposed to sound like!

4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    From what I understand they use a sequencer, which is also why you see Frank with headphones so he can play along with the click track.

Bands like Van Halen also use that for songs that have synths like "Jump", "When it's love" or "Why can't this be love?" where Eddie uses sequencers to trigger the sounds.

5. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Good thread Blazer. For the sake of accuracy though I would point out that The Tube was on Channel 4, not BBC. In fact it was broadcast on Channel 4's first night, in November 1982. To my mind it was one of the best ever rock programmes of all time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.