Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Top Last Night

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rokdog49, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

I completely understand.
    But you know, if they can't hit it, why are they out there?
    Now it's just greed.
    I know, if someone offers you millions of dollars to do your thing, why not, but aren't you being disrespectful of your audience?
    Doesn't that count anymore?
    I like to see bands in smaller venues.
    I am there to see them play and sing.

2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Another vote for Blackberry Smoke. But the singer's beard, man, I mean, C'MON man!!!

3. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I worked their show in Kamloops, these guys are consummate professionals their rigs are relatively small but their act is tight, real tight, most of Gibbons rig is off stage he uses an ISO box that fed to one cab on stage, Billy's guitars are set with ridiculously low action. It was a real treat to have worked for them, its no surprise the show was killer.

4. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Blackberry Smoke. Somehow they do the Allman Brothers thing without sounding ridiculously retro.

I love it when I'm more psyched for the opening band than the headliner. I saw Robert Plant with his new band but Grace Potter warmed up for them. I was way more excited about seeing Grace Potter and she didn't disappoint. Then Robert Plant came up and I was prepared for him to be terrible but he totally killed and his band killed as well. Great music, great performance. Robert Plant is one of the old guys who can get up there and still deliver, no doubt. Maybe a few songs have been transposed down a step or two but he can still pretty darn high for an old guy. And the music he's writing now is a lot better that some of the stuff he was writing in the 80s. (It was the 80s, not his fault!).

5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Digging the Blackberry Smoke tunes.

6. HC

HC Tele-Holic

Dec 14, 2004
    Norway
    Well, there sure is no backing tracks to be heard here.

I like ZZ Top. Always has.

7. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2015
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I get really high and mighty when I hear that this group or that artist is using backing tracks, or just straight up faking it. I think it used to make people mad, but most regular (non musician) people I speak to don't really care. They are there for the spectacle (Dancing Lights, video, etc...) and whether the musicians are actually doing their job is hardly given a thought. Usually people say things like, "Look at how much they are dancing" or "I'm sure the beard gets in the way" "the instruments wouldn't stay in tune in that weather". I remember the first time I saw a group that was using tracks, "Queensryche" in the 90's. I was so disappointed. I can understand, miscellaneous sounds being played on a sequencer by a keyboard player, but when they are literally playing to their CD it's shameful.

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Good for you rokdog! Get to this. I saw ZZ in 1973 at Muhlenburg College in Allentown, PA. Me and a buddy drove into Philly so he could visit his GF. Then we drove from Philly to Allentown. ZZ opened the show. They were great, and they didn't use backing tracks. I can assure you. Here is the weird part. Earth, Wind, & Fire played second, then the headliner was Uriah Heep. The Heep was the reason we were there, but ZZ was an extra treat. EW&F were very good as well. It was not uncommon back then to put a concert on with different genre bands. A business model to sell more tics? I was 18, and it would be five more years until I picked up a guitar.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

That was 100% live and very tight. Tracks or not they can still play their asses off.

10. Big Monz

Big Monz Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2013
    Nashville
    I saw ZZ last night here in Nashville. It was a TERRIFIC show! I don't know about a 'backing track', except on the song 'Legs". That song definately has a synth track on it. I just didn't hear anything else but the 3 guys (tres hombres?) doing their thing. I was up very close, so if there was anything else going on in the mix, I would have been able to pick it up...

Anyway, I was also fortunate enough to be able to go to the 'meet and greet' after the show. The guys were very nice and I'm thankful they've been making great music and playing live for so many years.

11. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    OOps, sounds a lot like this:

12. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just like when they recorded the songs! (Most of their records, starting in the mid-'60s, used LA studio musicians.)

13. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Did not know ZZ Top used backing tracks.

That is very deceptive, IMO. I wont be going to see them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.