Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Top Last Night

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rokdog49, Aug 26, 2015.

1. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Mar 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Finally fulfilled one of my music wishes and saw ZZ Top last live night at the Hard Rock Rocksino near Cleveland last night.

The best way I can describe their performance was "professional". As expected, they ran through most of the songs a fan would want to hear plus a few lesser known numbers. They were relaxed and seemed to be having fun relishing their status as a proven commodity. The mix was excellent, if not a little loud and most of the songs came across with the signature licks and vocals as they were recorded. I was impressed with Billy Gibbons as he proved himself to be more than a "one trick pony" on guitar. Dusty Hill and Frank Beard did what they do and did it well. You would never have thought all that could be just coming from three guys. All-in-all, they were what I hoped for live.
    The warm-up act was a band called "Blackberry Smoke" of whom I was unfamiliar, but they seemed to have a pretty strong following among the concert goers.
    As it turns out, they were very good playing in a genre' of country rock, Black Crows type stuff , and even some semblance of Eagles harder-edged country rock with excellent harmonies. The songs were creative and catchy and they could rock straight-up as well.They were very enjoyable and definitely have talent. Unfortunately, they are probably passe' in the present world of manufactured music.
    All-in-all it was great to finally get another great band I wanted to see live off the bucket list.

2. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Nice- I have tickets to see them at the end of September. Bucket-list band for me as well!

3. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
    ...''all that coming from three guys''.....well....they play along with their own backing tracks...don't get me wrong...I love 'em...but...just sayin'..

4. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Quite a few bands seem to 'supplement' their sound using tracks, these days.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I saw them last summer outdoors and it was good, but Rhonda Smith (Jeff Beck's bass player) was the hit of the night.

6. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2009
    N. Ireland
    And then there's the Eagles, who supplement their sound with a whole band of touring musicians shadowing all the parts.

7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

At least the Eagles and band are actually playing the songs live, as far as I know.
    Playing along with your own track?
    I'm sorry, I didn't pay $100+ to see karaoke.
    It's an insult.

8. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    No doubt. I heard that about Top a while back & checked out some youTube clips.

Not my cup o' tea.

More power to the old guys who still want to "entertain"... rock on.

9. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2008
    Phoenix Az
    "I'm sorry, I didn't pay $100+ to see karaoke.
    It's an insult."

Then don't, because it's not going away anytime soon, especially for the older bands that aren't hitting it like they used to.
    Conversely last night I heard a live recording of a 2007 Led Zep reunion that could've used some backing tracks. Jim Page was barely holding his part together.

10. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    I have seen them many, many, times!

11. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Colorado

Blackberry Smoke is a great band, Charlie Starr has loads of talent.
    In reference to backing tracks:
    I like three piece bands because they sound like three piece bands.
    If you need to fill out your sound add extra musicians. It works for Jack White, The Black Keys, and the Chili Peppers.

12. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Jun 8, 2011
    Mississippi
    ZZ was using backing tracks when I saw them back in the late 80's (when they were doing the conveyor belt thing on stage). Sounded good and was a good show regardless. I think they may have even had a backstage keyboard player, but my memory is fuzzy.

13. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles

Are you saying that there are unseen musicians offstage. I have heard rumors of this kind of thing being done by other bands as well. I find this along with backing tracks offensive. The Eagles always were an uninteresting band live to me because they don't seem to improvise anything and play the solos note for note

The other thing that bugs me are when bands have backing musicians on stage like the black keys and make them stand behind the in the shadows and never acknowledge that they exist.

14. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Holic

Aug 3, 2014
    North of There, NY
    Yeah, ZZ Top has doing that for years. Still a good show though. Now as for Blackberry Smoke. I really like these guys. Very talented and genuine.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I agree. Probably one of the best and freshest bands I've heard recently. Kind of a Southern Rock and Soul band with some very good stuff. Takes me back to the '70s when bands like that were coming on the scene daily. Now they're a rarity.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Another tune by Blackberry Smoke I've played.

17. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Another vote for Blackberry Smoke they have great fans, and they can play.

18. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

Seriously? This one I hadn't figured. I've seen them 6 times, last time from the front row.

Boy do I feel dumb. On "Legs" I do definitely hear a rhythm or synth part they aren't actually playing.

The Beach Boys had an entire backline playing all their music - I doubt their guitars were even plugged in.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

Yeah, but if you went and saw ZZ Top playing to backing tracks, the upside is that you're not at an Eagles gig.

So there's that.

Not unseen, just dressed in dark clothes.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I read somewhere that Billy has lip-synched a couple of tunes as well, though I have no idea if that's true or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.