Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Top "I Thank You" Intro Effect

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by pompeii0, Feb 2, 2017.

1. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2005
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    What is the effect that the Rev Willy G. is using on the intro to "I Thank You"? Sounds like some kind of modulation to me.

I thank you! ;)

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Depending on the performance (studio or live), it's either a Phase Shifter or a Flanger.

On the studio track, it definitely sounds like a Phase Shifter. I've got several bootlegged live performances where it sounds much more flange-y.

uriah1 likes this.

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    ^ I agree. Honestly, either one works well enough to that song.

4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I was thinking more stereo chorus. Sounds a little on the out of tune side for me like a chorus effect.

I've been wrong before, but don't tell anybody.

Isn't it a great song and great album?

5. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2005
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes SPUDCASTER the entire album is amazing, full of greasy tones and catchy songs! I think it's ZZ Top at the top of their game before they became too commercial and "MTV".

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I have owned a couple of the old Boss BE50 multi effects, with the chorus in that unit I got real close to that tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.