Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Top - Francine

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EllroyJames, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    ZZ Top is still cool.

Everything they do is cool except the lip-sync backing-track stuff on stage.

My sons are telling me kids these days are talking about getting married younger. They want to have more energy for their kids and enjoy them for longer.

I think it's part of this whole trend toward "how many seconds are there in the day" and "how many days of life will genetic testing reveal you have till you die" stuff.

They're becoming very economically-minded. It struck me as weird ... until I hit 50.

Matt G likes this.

2. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Might be true of those who still choose to marry, but marriage rates have been declining in the US for 50 years.

My wife and I have enjoyed 24 years of marriage without needing kids, so you can skin that cat multiple ways.

Think I'll have a party on the patio just because I can.

3. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC

Strat neck pickup nirvana.

Love that little ol' band from Texas. A high school friend of mine turned me on to them. Gibbons has soul beyond control.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    brookdalebill likes this.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    He surely does, man. There are few cooler. I had kinda lost faith in him over the years, but that episode of "Live at Daryls House" last year with BG renewed it. He's still got it when he wants to let it out. I imagine most have seen it, but if not, here it is. He should have taken Daryl and his boys out on a tour. I think it's that good:

Also, there is a really cool little TrueFire course on "Billy Gibbons" style guitar. Well worth checking out:

https://truefire.com/blues-rock-guitar-lessons/play-like-billy-gibbons/C806

elihu likes this.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Even "She was just seventeen, you know what I mean..."

teledude66 likes this.

6. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    In their defense, 17 is actually a year beyond the age of consent in Britain. At least, it is today. Not sure about the early '60s.

teledude66 likes this.

7. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    It might be just me but this song is reminiscent of the Stones in a lot of ways. I can almost hear Jagger singing it.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Very much so, Mick Taylor era Stones.
    It’s got a bit of what I call the Stones swing.
    I thought so even when it was a new song.
    I still think Billy is the man to sing it though.
    Mick’s always been a bit thick, IMO.

9. GFrank

GFrank TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, NY
    It don't get no better than early ZZ Top.
    I absolutely love every album up through 'Deguello', (and El Loco is pretty good too), but almost nothing after that.

10. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Speaking of the Stones and ZZ Top, I always thought it was cool that ZZ Top released their "Brown Sugar" about four months before "Sticky Fingers" even came out. With that in mind, I don't think the Stones were necessarily a direct influence, but they do appear to have been on similar wavelengths at the time.

Definitely a connection between the two bands, though. When I saw the Stones in the Astrodome on the "Tattoo You" tour in '81 there were two opening bands: The Fabulous Thunderbirds first, then ZZ Top second. Quite a bill.

11. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Oh yeah, there’s definitely a Keith influence on the main lick. Play it and you’ll see Keith’s favorite shape right there.

12. David Barnett

Well, it goes "woo", and so does "Brown Sugar"...

13. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I haven't researched it but I believe ZZ toured with the Stones early on. Don't know if it was before or after Francine was recorded.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    More yang:

And Whoa Tele...as per Billboard:

Texas-based rock band ZZ Top has been tapped to open the Rolling Stones' July 16 (2003) concert at Helsinki's Olympic Stadium. The show will be a reunion of sorts, as ZZ Top previously opened three Stones shows in 1973 in Honolulu, and four gigs in Texas in 1981.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:09 AM
    E5RSY likes this.

15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I still play lots of ZZ Top at home, mainly older stuff. Absolutely love La Grange and we still gig Rough Boy. BG has some oft-repeated licks but he has a great touch and can get a lot from just a few notes and some pinch harmonics.

4pickupguy likes this.

16. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Francine is my favored of all their hits for sure.

EllroyJames and brookdalebill like this.

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    More ying, a song that I think has awesome ying.
    Billy’s broadcaster, neck pickup, tube pre-amp direct to board. A very un-Billy like approach for the time:

elihu likes this.

18. David Barnett

And both were on London Records.

19. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I think Francine was done around '68 or so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.