Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZZ Top - Francine

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EllroyJames, Jul 6, 2018.

1. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Love the tune, and the entire album.
    It’s writer, Mr. Kenny Cordray met a sad end at the hands of his son.
    I traded an amp with him when I was in high school in the mid 1970s.
    Great player, and writer.
    RIP, sir.

Dan R, Chicago Matt, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Man, I had no idea about his demise.

I just listened to this the day before yesterday on a '70s Top marathon I had going while working at my desk. Whenever I hear it I think two things: 1) What a great tune, and 2) Strange subject matter, and they would probably be tarred and feathered today for cutting a song about a 13-year-old romance (at least, I've always hoped both participants were teenagers).

Scott

Zepfan and teledude66 like this.
  4. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Yeah, stuff like that (subject matter) shouldn’t, and wouldn’t fly now.
    It was just good ol’ dumb riff-rock and roll, 40-odd years ago.
    I was a teenager myself, at the time.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Oct 8, 2004
    Lawndale,N.C.
    The bass player in my band, and I were discussing how many old cool songs, are either creepy, or seem to promote pedophilia. Good Morning Little School Girl, Christine Sixteen, and many more I can't think of now, especially when the guys singing them are well past 60 years old...lol. I just remembered one of the best Benny Mardones- "she's just sixteen years old, leave her alone they said..."

6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    In 1974, one of my buddies had a girlfriend named Francine. The song took on a personal meaning for us. She was hot.

What a fun riff/hook too. I hadn't played that for a while. Thanks for the reminder:)

7. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    Rio Grande Mud fairly changed my life when I first heard it ~1978. Billy Gibbons remains one of the most underrated guitarists I've ever heard. If you can find his Dan Rather "The Big Interview" episode streaming or online, it's very worth any fan's time.

GFrank, Obsessed, EllroyJames and 2 others like this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    One of my two favorite ZZ Top albums...

Of course, I love em all...but that's another story.

TheGoodTexan and GFrank like this.
  9. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    If that is the case, then you are a unicorn, mi amigo. I have never met anyone that liked their entire catalog. I hurriedly got off the bus after "Degüello", myself. But I still return to those first six records on a surprisingly regular basis. Touchstones to my Texas youth, I guess. :cool:

LocoTex and FenderLover like this.
  10. brookdalebill

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I first heard their “First Album” when I was in the 9th grade, around 1971.
    I liked it, but Rio Grande Mud really lit me on fire.
    I love(d) every song on it, and it is an extremely well “paced” album.
    Billy’s tones, taste, phrasing and singing on this album has never been surpassed, IMO.
    I followed ZZ Top closely until the two hit albums, Eliminator and Afterburner.
    Strangely, the disco drum machines on those albums really turned me off, for good.
    I love em’ when they are stripped down, and “real”.
    They just became too jive for me to tolerate, afterwards.
    I know I’m in the minority here.
    Billy, and ZZ Top set an extremely high standard for blues rock, and then totally lost me.

11. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    I agree. But for me it was in reverse. My intro to ZZ was the cheesy videos from the eliminator era. I dug the girls of course but even at that age I couldn’t take the music seriously. Wasn’t till years later that I even realized how great they had been.

12. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I hadn't heard that in a long time. I definitely hear a lot of echos of Sharp Dressed Man, especially the main riff.

lewis likes this.
  13. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Their first three are my favorites, though I have a six-pack collection of everything before Eliminator that I am pretty fond of. Billy's guitar tone of the first three are very bluesy. Lots of touch sensitivity, then all of the fuzz came in and dynamics were squished. Other things to like though - their lyrics always give me a smile and the compositions are great regardless how the guitar sounds.

GFrank likes this.
  14. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Exactly. Sadly, they were a willing casualty of the early 80's MTV-inspired shifting of the musical landscape. For me, Heart was a similar casualty. From greatness to "WTF???"

15. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
    Another one from ”Rio Grande Mud”, the perfect Friday song! :cool:

GFrank, Dan R, Durtdog and 2 others like this.
  16. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    I followed ZZ Top closely until the two hit albums, Eliminator and Afterburner.
    Strangely, the disco drum machines on those albums really turned me off, for good.
    I love em’ when they are stripped down, and “real”.
    They just became too jive for me to tolerate, afterwards.

Amen.

Jim622 and brookdalebill like this.
  17. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    I felt the same way. After the first few I lost interest. I did like "Tejas" quite a bit though - lots of cool Tele tones on that one.

Among my friends when "Rio Grande Mud" came out I was the only one who knew who they were, due to hearing "Francene" on the radio. We went to a concert and ZZ Top was the opening act. Billy played Pearly through their entire short set and some new converts were made. My friends were gobsmacked.

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Remember how old Priscilla Presley was when she married Elvis?

Then Jerry Lee Lewis married a 12 year old and she was a 12 year old cousin to boot.

Things were different back then.

19. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Interesting story for me, 1st heard Top in '75. Someone had them playing on 8 track at a pasture party. Been my favorite band ever since. I had the good fortune to meet BFG in a restaurant over 20 years ago. I was a line cook at an upscale restaurant on Montrose in Houston, TX., every Sunday it was known for the Mimosa's and all the Hot strippers that would come over and take advantage of the Mimosa's. Word came back that BFG was in the house and to make him a special appetizer, so I did. He asked to meet me and I went out front where he drew a caricature of himself with the beard, had my name, ZZ top and all, on a white "La Strada" T-shirt. I was frigging impressed. To bad that restaurant burned to the ground, some audacious stories from there.

20. E5RSY

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    Do yourself a favor and get the original releases of those six records. The "Six Pack" was a seriously ill-advised project (I think it was Bill Hamm's goofy idea) to modernize their catalog to appeal to listeners of the late '80s.

All the drums were compressed and reverbed like hell to obtain that gawdawful Def Leppard sound. The guitars were "enhanced" digitally, too. I think it's a trainwreck. If you ever noticed a difference between the cuts on "Six Pack" and what is played on the radio, that is why. The originals are so much more organic and real.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.