Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

zvex woolly mammoth

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Suttykins, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    some of you may have seen a week or so ago I posted a thread about fuzz pedals as I wanted an upgrade on my fuzz face (or "sutt face") clone

I got some great advice from you guys and was just about to pull the trigger on the analogman peppermint fuzz..

but then I heard a clip of the zvex woolly mammoth :eek:

instant sh*tty, scuzzy, messy Jack White tones (and when I did a bit more snooping around it turns out he actually used one on the Bond theme he did with Alicia Keys)

perrrrrfect!!

so my question is.. is it a good buy?
    and more impotantly does it play nicely with other pedals (ideally after a wah)

also, I know it's a completely different beast than the peppermint but I don't use fuzzes as "tones" anyway.. more for squeaky, spitty noises :cool:

2. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

If you are in it for the squeaky spitty noises you should check out catalinbreads v8 fuzz
    it goes into psycho oscillation if ya dime it really fun for a noise freak, I also think you should try their teaser stallion for crazy noises, I love mine.
    Never tried a woolly,

3. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    They are a pretty versatile little box imo.
    Can you swing a soldering iron? They are a pretty easy build.

4. dagger4

dagger4 Tele-Meister

I've build one last weekend

They are easy to build from a standard prefboard.
    They sound amazing in combination with other drives.
    Due to it high bass response, the pedal does not react quite well to the Wah.
    (as a start)

For guitar the overall bas response is very Big and Fat, for the higher regions it tends to be a bit dark. It's great for playing riffs.

There are lots of mods around to make it a bit more guitar friendly.

One last thing the pitch (gate) is very handy to set up the Fuzz for the Clean to Fuzz mayhem, with only the volume pot of your guitar.
    It cleans up very well.
    The Pitch Gate function is a good thing to prevent the unit from oscillating when you are not playing (a common high gain Fuzz problem)

One last tip, use a 5K trimpot for the bias resistor.

5. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

Oct 7, 2008
    Minneapolis.
    Any good muff clone can get you there, no need to empty the bank on an overpriced zvex.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.