Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zvex Tremolo Probe for volume swells

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nashd, Feb 25, 2009.

1. nashd

nashd TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2003
    I'm thinking about buying this pedal mail order (no dealers near me). I want to use it initially for church-organ-type volume swells. With the Tremolo Probe the volume is full-on when your foot is on the plate, and the volume reduces as you move your foot away from it. How easy is it is to get accurate volume swells in time to the music? I'm looking to do it as a backing - pick a chord with volume off, and swell the volume from the first beat of the bar.

I've just bought a Guyatone SV-2 (slow volume) which does it automatically pretty well, but it can do some funny things with the decay of the notes.

I bought an Ernie Ball volume pedal a few years ago, but put it in the loft or somewhere after discovering it sucked the tone from my setup. I was told I needed a line driver to help with it, but never got around to buying one, and now I can't find the pedal anywhere...

I'm ready to splurge on the ZVex as long as it'll do the job. The demo videos don't really help with what I want to do, and the blurb talks about 'reverse volume swells' which aren't what I want.

Thanks

David

2. thwdude

thwdude TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2008
    DC
    I do not have the tremolo probe but how easy it would be would (most likely) depend on how well you can keep the beat with your foot. I would say get it. Really the tremolo probe seems perfect for volume swells.

3. nashd

nashd TDPRI Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks. I think I will buy it. A mail order dealer has offered one to me at a fairly good price because there was a problem with the wording on their website. Although I have a tremolo in my amp, the Probe can do some interesting variations on the theme, and if it turns out to be good for the volume swells then that will be a bonus.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.