Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zvex Super Hard On

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jeremypodom, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    After a lot of tweaking knobs around and thinking, I've decided that I'd rather have a boost and a distortion on my board instead of two distortions. I sold one of my distortion and I've got about $125 to spend.
    Is the Zvex Super Hard On worth $100? I found a used one and I've heard great things about it. Just looking for recommendations.

2. Suttykins

Suttykins Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2009
    United Kingdom
    i bought one used and i think it's great.. i use it in front of my deluxe reverb just to give it some grunt and sparkle, i find it adds glossiness and clarity even at unity gain.

it can get loud as all hell too.. :D

3. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I think I'll spring for it and hopefully get a few $$$ out of the trade overall. Ironically, I sold the other distortion (BB Preamp) for just a little more than I bought it for originally :lol:. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to make the call, it's at a guitar center in Maine of all places... I'll probably suffer with their shipping charges. We'll have to see.

Before you throw stones at me for selling the BB, let me say in my defense that for some reason my specific pedal made this crackle noise, which I was careful to include in my description on the ebay ad. It wasn't so bad, unless I was running it before my already dirty amp which then amplified the crackle. It got to be so obnoxious.... Let's not even discuss what happened when both pedals were on into the amp dirty! I enjoyed the sounds it made and it's a great pedal, but I got a Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive which turned out to have an extremely similar sound to it. Figured it would be more convenient to run a boost into the RTO than to run two almost identical sounding pedals into one another (one with a crackle). Let's hope this creates an also beautiful but more quiet sound.

4. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    I had one for years. It's a very nice pedal. I did not really use it as a boost...but instead it sat at the end of my signal chain to add back some of the brightness lost. A little "zing" to add clarity!

Currently, I'm uses a Xotic EP Booster for that "zing" function but it also does a great boost as well. It also has a couple of switches inside to shape the tone slightly. Price is about $100-$115.

Anyway, the SHO is a nice pedal....also include the EP Booster in your considerations.

5. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Thanks for the advice. I also like the zvex for it's dual outputs. I don't know why but I feel like that' something I'd make good use of eventually....

6. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yeah - I thought the same thing but it's not very useful. If you're looking for two outputs, you probably really want stereo feeds coming from a delay or other modulation pedal....that sounds amazing.

7. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

May 22, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Fwiw, shipping through used guitar center is usually pretty reasonable for pedals. If they throw you some high number, ask em to work on it, because you didn't expect it to be so high and tell them you can pay right away over the phone (if you're prepared to buy) they'll usually work with you if you tell em you have "x amount to spend and I want to spend it now" hopefully I made sense. I just woke up :)

8. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I have a stereo reverb pedal and two delays. It would be cool to split the output into each delay separately so that they stop delay'ing off one another... sometimes it gets out of hand.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    The SHO is great, but like a lot of ZVex pedal they are expensive. The circuit itself is super simple and inexpensive, so you are paying for the ZVex brand and the cool paint jobs. I would take a look at the Bad Bob, too. Great boost with a bit of grit (character).

10. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA

11. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I went ahead and showed the man respect for his design and paid for the original. I looked up schematics and I probably could have made my own for $30 or less but I decided not to.

I may open it up when I get it and consider making a second one but for now this should do fine....

Thanks guys =]

12. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    I sold my SHO after ten years of use. It is a great pedal but I found the EP booster to be the sound I like better.

13. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Oct 10, 2010
    Southern California
    What the hell kind of name is "Super Hard On"? Gee, some people just have no dignity it seems.

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    There's actually a thread right here that I created four years ago, showing just how simple it is.

QUICK AND EASY DIY SHO THREAD

Before you write off the whole DIY thing as not being your bag, check out the thread. Lots of folks who never took a whack at building something have successfully built a SHO. Maybe the first one didn't work, maybe not the second...but lotsa driven folks got results, eventually.

The cool part is you can actually sub in parts from places like Radio Shack, since the parts count is so low, and the transistor type is so common.

The SHO and LPB-1 have about the same number of parts. I think the Rangemaster and Fuzz Face just barely have a few more. It's super caveman stuff, and even the Orman minibooster is light years ahead in design (and has a whopping TWO transistors :p).

I've come to the conclusion that the SHO is so simple that it is almost a waste to put it on a pedalboard - it will fit inside of the guitar quite easily, if you don't object to another knob and switch.

The only downfall of the SHO IMO is the daggone noise when you turn the knob. But there is a DIY project out there called "Crackle Not Okay" that eliminates the problem. Google for that too, if you're interested.

15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

May 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    :lol:
    I'm with you...those kind of things don't even come close to offending me, but they do seem pretty juvenile.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    another roll your own vote

the SHO is way overpriced for what it is, find a picture of the inside of one and you'll see.

17. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Most of his stuff is insanely overpriced for what it is...

18. jeremypodom

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Overpriced or not, his pedals make pretty sounds come out, which says much more than a lot of other brands with more complex circuitry.... Just saying. I'll probably order parts for my own in the future but just this first time I'm going to honor the man who figured it out in the first place (not like I could have!!).

19. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2010
    Australia
    +1. Yes it's the simplest circuit you could imagine but it sure sounds good. Simple = good, IMO. Kind if like how a telecaster is about the simplest guitar you could ever make.... think about that one!

20. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Didn't he lift the idea from a recording console? If so, wasn't really his idea was it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.