Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zvex Super Hard-On (SHO

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gator19482005, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gator19482005

gator19482005 Tele-Holic

Jan 5, 2005
    Pa
    hi can anyone tell me what this pedal Zvex Super Hard-On (SHO will do. is it like an overdrive. and if it is would the paisley drive give me that sound as they say putting a little hair on it

2. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2007
    Big Rapids, Michigan
    I would say it is more of a boost pedal. It does add a little hair/grit and thickens your tone a bit. It only has one knob so it is not as flexible as the paisley. I really like the SHO drive. I use it more often the my Paisley. I tend to play modern country. You actually want both. They stack nicely with the SHO going into the paisley.

3. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    The SHO will add "sparkle" (presence, high-frequency response) and kinda smear your tone into some harmonics a bit. It's a boost that is capable of a lot of output, enough to be dangerous to amps if you aren't careful. I have a clone and do not really use it - it's subtle but at unity, I feel like it "blurs" my clean tone a little. It's cleaner than some boosts (meaning it isn't a drastic eq shift when on) but it is not a clean boost (meaning it sounds to me like it introduces harmonic content like an overdive would, just far less obviously). That's my impression, anyway, FWIW.

They're super simple. Build one.

4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    I would suggest building one as well. When you see how few components are in this pedal, you will want to punch yourself for spending so much!

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I built mine with no problems. Its a bit noisy if it goes past half way on the knob but I dont really push it that hard anyways.

I dont really know how to explain what it does, but I like it a lot! I think it kind of adds some of that Vox Chime to your signal. Its one of those subtle pedals that you dont realize you cant live without it until you turn it off and realize something is missing.

Its an always on with my Fender Amps. It doesnt seem to do a whole lot with my Marshall or Blackstar. Vox its a bit redundant, I will play around with it sometimes but pretty rarely.

6. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2007
    Big Rapids, Michigan
    ^^^+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.