Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZVEX SHO?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TeleManMeSelf, Jan 16, 2012.

1. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Tele-Meister

May 25, 2011
    California
    I recently found out about the ZVEZ vexter SHO in my search for a boost pedal. Any experiences with this pedal? where is it made? pros and cons? I have a 70s fender musicmaster tube amp

2. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

May 12, 2003
    I love my S.H.O. w/ a rainbow flower, gold paint, and a bee at one of the outputs. Gives everything a bit of sparkly oomph. (And who doesn't need a bit of that, once in a while?!) :D

PJ

3. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Sep 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    If you're looking for a project and have reasonable skill with a soldering iron you can build one for almost nothing. Its a ridiculously easy build too

4. Vox66

Vox66 Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    I had a SHO for ten years and it is a great pedal, but then I found out about the EP booster.......... me very happy!

5. TeleManMeSelf

TeleManMeSelf Tele-Meister

May 25, 2011
    California
    Yes, but do you know where ZVEX are made?

6. Briggs

Briggs TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2008
    England
    The vexter series I believe are mass produced over seas. The hand painted zvex are hand built in the US. The SHO is probably my all time favourite little booster pedal, it's got a great basic sound. I've never heard anyone who played one (properly) be disappointed with it.

Pros - massive boost availiable (It's seriously loud), nice clipping characteristics, High input impedance gives your tone that "sparkle" and drives long cables well. Overdrives a pre-amp like nothing else I've found!

Cons - High input impedance adds a little noise (hiss), the bs170 (the mosfet the circuit uses) is fairly tempermental. It's best to buy a few and find the best sounding one. The gain control crackles when you move it, not a massive problem but it rules out "on the fly" boost adjustments when you're playing live.

7. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    madrid
    I use the Super Duper (2 SHOs). It's a great pedal. Very useful.

8. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    This. It's good as a boost but I'm considering selling it because of this. It makes a small hiss even with no input signal at all.

9. Briggs

Briggs TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2008
    England
    I just reduced the input impedance of the pedal down to two 1M resistors instead of 10M resistors that lowered the noise floor significantly. High value resistors always add noise, when you couple that with a high input impedance you're asking for a significant raise in "hiss". By changing the input impedance you lose a portion of that pronounced "sparkle" of the SHO but as I always play with a fair amount of gain that's not a problem. Another option is a small treble bleed cap across the drain/gate junction of the Mosfet transistor. There are a few options if you have a play with the circuit.

10. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I've have to look into that, thanks for the info

11. Briggs

Briggs TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2008
    England
    No problem, if you're handy with a bit of solder have a crack at building one up - they are pretty much the simplest circuit available..

12. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ditto...

But an SHO is a nice sounding pedal....even if it is the most trivial circuit ever created.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.