Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zvex Effects Club

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Dwills94, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

Jun 10, 2011
    Troy, Ohio
    Didn't see one of these yet so thought i'd start one.

I own a Vexter series Lo-Fi Junky and a Mastotron. Love them both for what they are, which is totally unique. Quality is top notch on everything they put out and their customer service is awesome. Anyone else want to share their Zvex collection? Maybe there are some one-off custom hand painted ones lurking out there in the TDPRI? I would love to hear opinions and see some pics!

2. BluesRoot

BluesRoot TDPRI Member

May 5, 2012
    Detroit
    I have a Box of Rock. It's pretty useful.

3. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Apr 26, 2003
    Southern Indiana
    Okay, I'll play. Here's my trusty Super Hard On. It's a late 90's model, I believe, hand-painted and peeling to the point where I guess it's becoming a relic. It's first in line and always on, set just a little hotter than unity gain. It adds a little sparkle to my tone (I usually play a Brownface Princeton) and the slightly boosted signal hits my OD pedals a little harder. I like the way it sounds, the way it interacts with my other pedals and the fact that the battery lasts forever. Plus, with a name like SHO, how can you go wrong?

[​IMG]

4. edipo

edipo Tele-Meister

Sep 14, 2011
    madrid
    I have (and am a completely fan of) the super duper 2-1. I use it to push the amp and whatever drive pedal i'm using at the moment.

I used to have a Distotron, which was great with the SuperDuper. I had to sell it but am gonna buy another soon.

I'd love to have the Mastotron (and their whole line, actually).

5. krog

krog TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2007
    chamberlain,sd
    I have a Box of Rock and a Distortron...ended my search for dirt (for the time being).

6. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    I love my Distortron. Low gain all the way up to VERY distorted, and really sounds like an amp breaking up naturally to me.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I've owned a bunch of Zvex equipment over the years - the only reason any have left my quiver is because of trade deals I couldn't pass up!

But two I've kept and they are going nowhere - a Super-Duper 2-in-1 (two Super Hard-Ons on one pedal) and a very early ZVex Nano tube amp (yeah, not a pedal - but it LOOKS like a pedal!).

Fantastic, wacky, bulletproof products and really cool people to deal with. They were one of the first to really go "outside the box" in pedal design, intentionally making things other people didn't (often not having a clue if there was a market or not).

8. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2015
    Los Angeles-ish
    I love my Vexter Fuzz Factory and hope to get the lo-fi looper at some point.

9. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2015
    Tacoma
    Another +1 for the Vexter Series Fuzz Factory right here.
    I wish I could have afforded one of the unique art Fuzz Factory's, but it's like double the price and the overall functionality of the effect is the more important than its appearance...I'm glad they at least made the vexter series option or else I wouldn't ever be able to afford they're products!

Next i wanna try an instant lo-fi junkie. I think it'd be fun to put it after a looper pedal, then it becomes like the lo-fi looper but with longer looping capabilities.
    Also the sonar looks rad but that effect can seem overly-complicated, like you might need to carry the instruction manual around to remember how to adjust all the hidden functions!!!

10. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

They get good reviews, They look interesting, I have a friend who swears by them but they are oriented wrong for my pedal board so I've never seriously looked at investing in one.

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    In the market for a fuzz...trying to decide between their Mastotron or Fuzzolo. Or, a Fuzz Factory or a Wooly Mammoth...too many danged choices, I tell ya!

Scott

12. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I have a few ZVEX stuff, the vexter series: Started with a Box of Rock. Love it! Well, I love the distortron side, keep it set at 10 o'clock for a slight overdriven sound, never use the boost side. Then because I love the distortron side, I bought a Distortron. I use it for a heavy (for the Distortron) crunch: distortion set at 3 o'clock, gain on "LO" and subs on 3. In effect, then, the BOR and Distortron sound the same except for the amount of distortion. Most recently, I got the Mastotron Fuzz...and wow!!! I love this thing. I highly recommend this fuzz!

13. Osmosis in C

Osmosis in C TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2014
    so far from home
    I've got a Mastotron, and it is indeed an awesome fuzz pedal. I have a Wooly Mammoth clone (called the Mammoth Wooly, very subtle), but I like the sound of the Mastotron better. I also have a Ringtone that I bought a long time ago and never really used. I'm GASing for a Sonar. The fact that it has a built in Machine circuit has almost guaranteed that I'll get one. Always wanted a Machine, but not for $300+. Maybe one day they'll make a Vexter Machine.

14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I never liked fuzz. I tried it over and over again wondering what was wrong with me that I didn't like fuzz. Then, I tried the ZVex Fuzz Factory and had to have one (got a Vexter version). So many useful sounds in this box as well as a lot of zany fun for those times when you just want to make some noise. My only gripe is that it's *really* picky about what comes before it in the signal chain...

15. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Sep 18, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    Fuzz Factory 7 owner here. I never owned any previous FF before it but I am blown away with. I really like the rotary knob and extra tone knob/stomp switch.

16. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I've got a fuzzolo. Great tiny pedal.

17. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

I looked at the Fuzz Factory but it intimidated the hell out of me. It eventually led me down the path of the EQD Dirt Transmitter and (now) DOD Carcosa - two fuzz pedals that are capable of raucous gated sounds, but don't have settings like the Fuzz Factory where you just get unusable squealing. Still, it's a great, classic fuzz.

I do have a Box of Rock, though, and I really think that's a great Plexi-in-a-box. I actually preferred it over the Wampler Plexi Drive in an A/B test because of the low end response in the ZVex.

18. Dimarzio77

Dimarzio77 TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Duluth, MN

19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Since my post above, I've added a VEXTER Double Rock, which is a J Mascis "signature" pedal. It's basically two SHO and two Distortrons in one pedal. I like both sides set to the SHO side, then I run one or both at the same time depending on the song but usually both at the same time. Beautiful, very musical sounding slight OD.

20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I've been following the fuzz threads, and watching YouTube demos before buying my first fuzz and I am still befuddled, or should that be "befuzzled" on where to start.

I would have assumed a Fuzz Face or Big Muff would work and they might, but in demos I have heard I'm not sure they are what I am looking for.

I definately want to be able to get classic fuzz effects for songs like satisfaction and such, but I also like the bias control of the dirt distributer up to a point.

Any suggestions for a classic sounding fuzz that will also do a bias type thing, or perhaps a low-fi 8 bit thing? I want to be able to get it to sputter like its dying without completely cutting out any notes like the bias on the dirt distributer does (at least when set very low).

Is it easy to dial in pronounced stutter with the DD without actually loosing notes completely? I assume it is but it wasn't obvious from the demos I've seen so far.

Any suggestions that might narrow my search, or point me in a direction I might not have thought of?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.