Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

ZVEX BOR vs BOR Vexter series?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    What is the difference between the standard vs the Vexter Series. One better than the other at JTM45?
    Please Help!

2. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    One is hand painted and sprinkled with fairy dust. To my understanding they're virtually identical.

3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    They are EXACTLY IDENTICAL. The Vexter series is screened where the others are handpainted as Art mentions. But the circuit is the exact same.

I’ve had the BOR, the Distortron, and now I have the Double Rock, which is kind of like two BOR and Distortrons in one box. With the BOR, I found I didn’t use the boost too much, so I got the Distortron, then I got a second Distortron, so I could have a lo-gain Distortron and a hi-gain Distortron. That was before the Vexter Double Rock was available.

I highly recommend the all three of those.

4. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks! that is the information that I needed. The VDR sounds great but dollars are tight.

5. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I don't mean to make it sound like I bought them boom, boom, boom, all at once. I bought the BOR, used it for about a year, then got the one Vexter Distortron to go with the BOR, a few months later sold the BOR to get the second Distortron, and had two Vexter D's on my board for a about a year. Then the Vexter Double Rock was released. SO I started looking for a good deal on one of those while I still had the two VD's on my board. It took about 18 months of looking/saving before I found a Vexter Double Rock that I could afford, so I bought it, then sold my two VD's to fund that purchase. So it took about three years in total to get to that point.

6. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Tampa,FL
    Beside paint? Country of origin and warranty.
    I believe the vexters are from taiwan and "finished" in America ... whatever that means and the hand painted enclosures I believe come with a lifetime(zach's lifetime) transferrable warranty

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Atlanta
    I have a Vexter BOR and can't hear any difference in tone with the hand-painted MIA original.

Although not as flexible as a VDR, I do find the independent boost on the BOR to be extremely useful. The BOR also stacks well with other OD/distortion pedals. I've been using a BOR in combination with a Fulltone OCD and between the two have been able to dial in just about any overdrive/distortion tone I want.

8. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks for the clarification. I know sometimes the made in U.S. sound different than the non U.S..

9. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Can the BOR do Clapton "Cream" tone?

10. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2014
    Tampa,FL
    that's probably the case when it comes to his non-silicon fuzz pedals. I believe the hand painted were getting ac128s and vexters were getting 2n404 ... then there's the whole spam can transistor thing as well. the silicon stuff ... parts is parts is parts

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.