Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zpoxy

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Rockhead, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    Delaware County, PA
    I am starting a Tele build using a one piece poplar slab. Since poplar is soft, I'm thinking of using Zpoxy finish resin to get a nice, flat durable base to put my color coat on. Plan on spraying it with Duplicolor rattle cans in a darkish red. Will the duplicolor acrylic lacquer play nice with the Zpoxy?

2. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    I have applied shellac, lacquer, polyurethane and Tru-Oil over Z-Poxy without any problems.

In order to get good penetration, cut your Z-Poxy about 1/3 with denatured alcohol after mixing.

I did that on a couple projects to increase the surface hardness. It worked pretty darn good. It took several applications to fully saturate the spalted maple I used on one project, but it did make that spongy soft wood hard as a rock.

3. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I see a lot of different Z-poxy products on Amazon. Which one do I want to use with soft guitar wood (I have your same issue)?

Thanks,
    Rex

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    REX - you can use almost any of the Z-Poxy Epoxy stuff. It's a matter of how fast it dries, and what if anything you can thin it with if you need to. I've used Locktite on spalted maple and wormy chestnut with good results. Having an old hair drier around helps especially on deeper holes and cracks, Ron Kirn has been suggesting this for a while now. It helps the flow of the poxyso that you can fill rather than cover a hole.

5. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

I've done similar stuff using Premium No-Blush from epoxyproducts.com
    I use this stuff because it's non-hazmat. It's primarily a marine grade (for treating boats) but I've used it for finishing as well as composite layups.

But the point I wanted to make was about thinning. I use DMSO. It's also not hazardous, and evaporates slower. That's bad for speed but good for working it to make sure it stays smooth. I think it might help with the saturation speed thing. Soft wood can leech alcohol and other light hydrocarbons right out of solution, leaving the wood/epoxy boundary essentially unthinned.

6. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2012
    Cooper City Florida
    i dont understand why your using zpoxy on poplar.....
    seal with shellac, sand , prime, sand, base & clear ... (wait 10 years or so if you use duplicolor anything for it to cure) wet sand
    done...

7. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    Delaware County, PA

8. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    Delaware County, PA
    I bought Zpoxy finishing resin. Haven't used it yet.

9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Thanks, can you please post back with your observations on its use when you have done so?

Thanks again,
    Rex

10. funkymann1

funkymann1 Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2012
    Cooper City Florida

11. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY

12. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    If the Z-poxy finishing resin is thinned about 1/3 with denatured alcohol it will soak into the wood. It will provide a substantial hardening of the surface.

As for the green streaks in poplar, try setting it outside on a very bright sunny day. The sun will bleach the green and turn it gray. Then it will stain or dye a little better.

DrASATele likes this.

13. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    By thinning 1/3, do you guys mean use two parts Zpoxy to one part alcohol or 2 parts alcohol with 1 part Zpoxy?
    What type of rag do you use when wiping?

14. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    I mix the z poxy at its proper 50 50 ratio first, making sure it is well stirred. Then cut it with up to 50% alcohol to thin it to the desired consistency for the final coat. It soaks in well, makes the grain colors pop and gives a nice surface hardening affect.

15. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Should each coat get progressively thinner? I would have thought the initial coat would be thinnest....

16. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    If used to fill cracks and pores, no thinning is needed, and use only as many coats as required to get a dead flat surface.

If used to harden soft or punky wood, apply as many coats as will soak in. In either case, there should not be a build up on top of the wood. Try to keep the total finish film thickness as thin as possible. It is rarely desirable to end up with a super thick finish like the MIM Fenders and Epiphones have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.