Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zoom ? tech21 ?Line6 ?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Superman96, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Superman96

Superman96 Banned

Dec 22, 2013
    Humboldt
    So, I play guitar at my church and I was wondering, what is best when you're plugging straight into a PA? I've considered the line 6 podhd 500x The zoom g5 and even the tech 21 character series. I want to get a good realistic Amp sound. Thanks!

2. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    I have a Line 6 HD300 which sounds great plugged into an amp and terrible plugged straight into the PA. I don't think this means it can't sound good plugged into a PA, it means that you need to get the settings right. I would start with the speaker/cab simulation and the EQ. WIth my normal settings it sounds really weedy/nasally going straight into a PA.

3. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    The only ones out of those that sound good (IMO) without plugging them into a tube amp are the Tech 21 Character series pedals.

Here's some evidence to support that opinion (rumour has it the Joyo American Sound is a "clone" of one of the Tech 21 Character series pedals):

-Gnobuddy

4. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Jul 30, 2013
    California
    I have a Digitech GSP 1101 and it is great.

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May 6, 2009
    Texas
    There are a lot of options that people use. "Best" is impossible to define, since it depends on the sound you're trying to achieve, and the quality of PA equipment and sound folks, honestly.

Been using a Line6 HD 400 for almost 3 years. I think it sounds very realistic going to the PA, but you need to spend some time getting your settings/patches consistent, and then work with the sound guys to make sure the gain and EQ are correct (and, if you're lucky, saved in a "scene" on a digital board, so they don't get lost every week). You'll have to do this with any direct setup, IMO, regardless of the make/model.

If you have a full pedalboard that you intend to keep, the Tech 21 Character Series seem to be a good choice for many folks. I'd probably go with a more British flavored model for P&W, but that's just me. I use a Trademark 10 (basically a GT2 + amp & speaker) for warm-up and that's the setting that covers more ground for me.

6. Superman96

Superman96 Banned

Dec 22, 2013
    Humboldt
    I just order the Joyo Ac tone for 36$! Which is a lot cheaper then I expected! Hopefully this will help my sound. Thanks for all the answers! Y'all helped alot.

7. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    I think you'll enjoy the AC Tone. Great sound at a bargain price.

I have one of these, and the only issue I have with it is that if you crank up the gain you get some hiss with it. It's not a problem at lower gain settings, though.

I found a simple fix for the hiss at higher gain settings, too: use a clean boost of some sort between guitar and AC Tone to raise the signal level before it goes in. Now you don't need to turn the gain up so far to get the higher-gain sounds, and the hiss becomes inaudibly low.

Enjoy!

-Gnobuddy

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    The tech 21 (and maybe the Joyo) provide excellent amp simulation - especially for integrating into an existing pedal board. But don't under estimate the Line 6 gear. The learning curve is steep (to use it properly) but the amp simulation is very, very good - for most models.

Most people have no idea how to properly setup a Line 6 device - those that do, have good success with them. They are replacing amps on more large stages and studio's than people realize.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.