Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Zoom Multistomp Query Delay Content

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Tele-beeb, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Considering a Zoom Multistomp and don't have a source nearby (so likely a sight unseen online purchase.)

Question:
    Will it allow you to "chain" more than one Delay?
    And deeper:
    Can you run two delays in parallel?
    Thanks ahead :)

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Two delays, yes. I might even do up to six, depending on how much DSP horsepower they take.

Parallel, no. The effects string is series only. They have a bypass switch that can be placed anywhere in the chain and used to bypass multiple effects from there to the end, but it can't do A/B switching.

Tele-beeb likes this.

3. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Parallel yes. In the Timefactor model. And probably a l/r or ping pong or stereo option. I don't know.

Tele-beeb likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    Oh not sure if the regular multistomp has Timefactor with the recent upgrades or not. The cdr does.

Tele-beeb likes this.

6. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    The latest firmware upgrade added a BUNCH of effects, mostly modern, fancy delays and reverbs similar to what Strymon and the H9 are doing. Not sure what you want from parallel delays, but the MS-50G might get you close. There's probably at least a multi-tap delay in there. My advice is to check out the manual and latest preset sheet on Zoom's website.

My MS-50G is doing duty as a tuner, tremolo, and slap back delay, one pedal instead of three and I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do. I'd KILL for a USB-connected GUI editor for it, though.

Tele-beeb likes this.

7. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    Sure wish I was better at programming because this would not be real hard

8. Redvers

Redvers Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2016
    Wales
    All the sysex commands have been worked out. You can control most of it using midi, I think you can remotely switch on and off the first three effects in the chain, change parameters on the fly etc too. A basic footcontroller and an arduino or raspberry pi could do it. I'm happy editing it on the pedal but the control part needs external switches.

9. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    As Rich says, the Zooms are serial only. However there are a lot of pretty sophisticated delays available including multi taps and stereo delays. For instance Dual Digital Delay, Filter Pong mode, Tape Echo (Echoplex). There are some very fancy reverbs too - BlackHole, Shimmer, MangledSpace.... and the last new FX added by Zoom was a Parallel Reverb.

(I've got the MS-100BT... I wish you could use the Bluetooth to do editing and backing up of configurations but it's strictly for downloading new effects, which is a shame. If anyone hears of any third party tools for it I'd be very interested...)

Tele-beeb likes this.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Tele-beeb likes this.

11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    One of my best purchase... EVER. Super duper lush delays and other modulations. Love mine and using for at least a year now in our live band!

12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Well... I ordered one. Just got it and now working through the manual.
    Maybe once I learn if I like it I'll post NPD
    Thanks for replies

13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Quite a few views... people are interested, so I'll give a bit of a long, early, NPD mini.

I play every Sunday morning... Praise and Worship.
    Regardless where you stand, I like delay... I fill a lot of dead air with delay repeats.
    I rely on a well-timed delay.

I just traded my beloved Nova System... so, I looked at what I could replace it with in a smaller/lighter footprint.
    I found the Zoom MS70 CDR.

I went directly to the preset recall protocol:
    It is not bad, but, there is only one footswitch, so it is limiting (but usable.)
    You enter a preset menu with fifty presets.
    You assign an alpha character to each preset.
    You cycle through the presets like A... B... C... etc. You go thru all the letters you assign to get back to A or D or whatever.
    Not bad. Still usable. By the way, I find all pedals have quirks, right? (All except the Diamond Tremolo)

Hey y'all... attention... I can over-write the presets!
    You know, those crap presets some big-name/no-name guitarist made up and nobody in their right mind would access?
    I can over-write those presets!
    I can have fifty presets with delay, reverb, and tremolo... made by me!
    My pedal will have no presets called Demonic Growl containing swells, reverse delay, and octaves! Yes!
    No more memory soaking presets with octave shifts and harmonizers in them... woo hoo!

Now, get this, I can put (up to) six effects in a chain. And, I can put multiple delays in that chain (even the same one twice if I want.)
    I can choose where they go and put in a line-selector bypass as one effect if I choose.

I can either tap-tempo or tuner. I choose tap-tempo, I have a nice Pitchblack that has survived years of use.

I can choose to play within one chain and sit on one pedal (without bending over) or, I can assign a number of preset chains that will keep me from bending over. I choose the preset/cycle-thru mode.

If I were to name you the single-purpose pedals that I have given more for than this pedal, it would be in the dozens.
    This pedal can replicate many single-purpose pedals in a blind test to all but the best pedal aficionado.

I am keeping it real. Yes, I love boutique pedals... and I would choose to use them. However, the raw flexibility has swayed me to try this pedal.
    So far, I like it... I am using it. In a single pedal footprint and fifty presets? All usable and all mine? Crazy!

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I and probably like you... wouldn't you find that if they made 70CDR with a 3 button design with preset up/down on left/right and bypass in middle, pretty close to the perfect budget time based affordable pedal to fill in those slightly less used pitch/mod/delay/verb needs. ???

Tele-beeb likes this.

15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Yes DaveKS.
    The array of sounds staggers my mind.
    It is good quality and sounds great.
    I would like an easy patch up/down.
    Since I only do five songs a set it is not a big problem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.