Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zoom G5 direct to soundboard hints?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by FluffyDog6, Feb 14, 2017.

1. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Raleigh NC
    Got a new (used) Zoom G5 from eBay and have been playing with it at home. It sounds pretty decent plugged into a stereo, which produces full-range sound.

My intention is to use it plugged into the XLR that runs to the soundboard at church, which I'm hoping will not require major tweaking of the patches, since the performance of the stereo and the sound system should be in the same league.

Anyone who has used a modeler in this type of situation have any suggestions before I hit the stage with it to get it configured properly?

2. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Hey Fluffy

Great pedal - I was doing something similar with mine last night. I play in a covers band and have lots of patches set up for all the different songs. I have now set up 'amped' versions of each patch so instead of plugging into the amp I can go direct into PA. I've set this up in case my amp dies so I have an emergency fall back.

The best advice I can give is if you hit 'global' you can run through options of how the sound is sent out - to the front of a combo (I think it turns off all cabs in your patches) to a power amp or 'direct' which is the setting you will need.

Also, I think that next to the XLR out there is a pre / post switch which determines if your dry sound or wet sound is routed to the XLR. I have used this for live recording. I set a mic up in front of the amp and then take a 'pre' XLR out and re-amp my dry sound in the DAW and mix it back together with the mic signal - sounds great.

Make sure you have the switch set to 'post' and all your FX should make it to the board.

Have fun.

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    My experience is based on a G3, which should be similar.

Normally when going direct with a modeler I would enter the global area and set it up for "direct"... but with the G3 I did not like the sound it produced. It was way too bright, "harsh" and thin for my liking. I leave that setting set to "combo in" at all times and find it much warmer when going direct. The modeled speakers selection is still active with that choice... at least on the G3 it is.

I know that goes against the grain, and it's the only modeling unit I had to do this with. YMMV... I'm just pointing out my experience.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.