Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zoom G Series

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by shanghaitele, Mar 3, 2013.

1. shanghaitele

shanghaitele TDPRI Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    I hope to see here a lot of users of the Zoom G3 and G5. I have both and I love them with my tech 21 power engine

41144 likes this.

2. shanghaitele

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    It seems that zoom g series are not appreciated here? ;-)

3. Michel347

Michel347 Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2011
    Montreal
    Looking to get either the G3 or G3X. Can you scroll up and down through the patches and then select ?

paintengr likes this.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I stopped in here to hopefully find some goodness about them. What says you?

5. shanghaitele

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    No, unfortunately they do not have this features

6. shanghaitele

Nov 2, 2010
    Shanghai
    I really like my g3, as modeler for amps tone to play direct or as a simple 3-4 stomps board to plug into the amp. If you use all the 6 slot available the I think it gets difficult to use it live. Recently I got the g5 and I am very happy using it live with a tech21 power engine.

7. Froski

Froski Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2011
    Ocean City Maryland
    I just bought a G1u. It should be here by the end of the week. I basically wanted something for late night jamming with headphones and bedroom recording

8. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    Sam Ash had a "$50 off any purchase $299 or more" coupon recently, and I used that to buy a Zoom G5 ($299 list, $250 plus taxes with the coupon).

I haven't had time to play with the G5 at all yet, but I have a G3 and have enjoyed some of its features for a while. The G3 has quite a few good sounding effects in it, and the looper is a huge plus. IMO the looper (with crude drum machine), HD reverb, and Rackcomp (compressor) alone are worth the price of entry, and there are dozens more effects to enjoy after that.

I'm not a fan of the amp models in the G3, though, they all sound harsh to me and cause ear fatigue after a short exposure to the sound.

Froski, I've been experimenting with a Joyo "American Sound" amp emulator pedal. Only forty bucks, and it's analog, not digital. More importantly, this is the sweetest-sounding solid-state guitar pedal I've ever heard. I'm amazed at how "tubey" this can sound - you can get surprisingly close to a Fender Blackface clean tone.

Run the output of the Joyo into a headphone amp and you have a tiny, inexpensive, pretty sweet-sounding late night jam setup. Of course it's not as versatile as a Zoom G3 or G5.

-Gnobuddy

9. Froski

Froski Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2011
    Ocean City Maryland
    I'll look it up

10. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I bought a G1on a couple weeks ago and really like it. I'm running into my VHT Special 6 amp. Most of the over driven stuff got deleted and replace with my own patch's. The reverb's, delay and compressors sound real good. I can also just plug in my headphones and use it as a stand alone amp! Very good pedal for just $50.00. Some of the amp sims sound pretty good, like the Twin and Deluxe Reverb. For me it works better than a pedal board with 5 or 6 pedals on it.

11. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 TDPRI Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had the G3, then bought the G5 with an eye to sell the G3. As it turned out the G3 works better for me so Ithe G5 and kept the G3. I wish the G3X was out when I bought the G3, that hardwired expression pedal would've been handy. I'm using it for delays and modulations. Works wonderful for me.

I think one of the best things about modelers and multi-effects is they can help narrow down which sounds you like without having to spend all the extra cash when you are just starting off. The G3 is superb for this IMO. And the quality of the effects is such that it's no slouch on it's own either.

12. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Are you using the looper and drums at all? To me, those features make that pedal a steal. How easy is it to change effects and such? Some units like that require a lot of scrolling through menus. And do you feel like it needs the expression pedal that is offered on the G1xon?

13. twangboy

twangboy TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Alabama
    I use my G3 in the loop of my amps as FX only; no amp models. I usually use about 3-4 presets during a worship set. I have a tap tempo button set for dotted 8th on one preset and the others have different FX for basic sounds i use. I use the channel switching from the amp.
    Yes, i wish it had an exp pedal that did global volume for ambient stuff but i work the slow gear and or my vol control instead. I really like this thing.

As with all modellers, you really need to tweak to get usable stuff and EQ for the room, but the G3 is a bit more ready to go out of the box than alot of other modellers. Its not set up with overly cheeze whiz presets that only show the extreme sounds it can make. With the option of 6 FX in the chain, i can get most everything i need for alot of ground cover.

14. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I acquired a G9.2tt recenlty (swapped a few things with a mate). Primarily for direct recording. Still just scratching the surface of what it can do. I really like the Bassman model. Got a nice recording using that with a P90 neck pickup in my Tele for a jazzy sound with a hint of grit from a low overdrive pedal in the external FX loop. I've also had some decent bass tones with that model. I found I got the best results by going into all the various parameters of reverb, preamp model, etc and fine tuning them all. Lots of small tweaks make for a big improvement.

The tubes in the Energiser and Accelerator have a definite but subtle effect. For each of them there's a variable blend of tube and SS circuitry.

Only problem is I don't get to spend enough time with it to become properly familiar with it. I don't bond too well with digital menus etc. Much rather tweak analogue knobs. When I first got it I managed to dial in good sounds quite easily. For some reason now my brain can't get around it and it confuses me. Have I got dumber over the last month? Quite possibly ...

15. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    Sorry about the late replay. I bought the pedal mainly for the reverb, delay and drum machine. Changing and building your own patches is really simple. I don't use the lopper. Most of the overdrive effects are not real good, so I use a Joyo Ultimate Drive for that. I'''m happy with it so far. You get a lot of effects for only $50!! I have a Cry Baby, so didn't need the expression pedal but for only $20 more I would get the pedal model.
    The noise gate effects work real good if you have a single coil guitar.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I've been using various Zoom stuff for years and years, starting way back with the old 505II.

Currently with my rock band I use a Zoom G1, but only for effects, and its in a true bypass loop, so it isnt on all the time. The effects are pretty great for the money tho, it'll do a lot of things.

One of my favorite old pedals is the Zoom Powerdrive, I've mentioned it many times on here, its a very close clone of a Klon. A great pedal.

I also have the Zoom handheld recorder thing which is great, a must for recording band rehearsals when you dont have anything else available.

I also have an old GFX-8, which I use as a direct-into-the-mixer and then right into my recording program, get-a-sound-quick for when I have an idea for something and I dont wanna take the time to set up the amps and a mic and all that. I've done a bunch of stuff with it... including all the guitars on this video... no amps at all, just a tele and an SG into the GFX and then right into the recording program

17. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I checked the Zoom web site last night and there was a firmware update for the G1on/G1xon. The update included 25 new effects! Now I have a total of 100 effects, cool!

18. olefudd

olefudd Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2009
    out yonder!
    I just bought a G3 last night, should be here in a couple days. I've got a G1on but I needed something that I can record to my PC with. Another feature that I liked is the way you can use it just like a regular stomp box and turn the patches on and off. It looks like it will be much easier to edit or make custom patches than the G1on. I got the one without the expression pedal, don't think I would ever use it.

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    G3 Owner here...

I was in need of a light weight, versatile effect unit I could fly with. Nobody was making anything that did everything I wanted... then I started to read up on the G3. I will admit it - I have been a ZOOM Snob over the years but the features on the G3 were impossible to ignore.

A few days ago I picked up the G3 to see what it could do. I'm still in a honeymoon period - but so far I am very impressed.

1: It tougher than I thought it would be. Metal construction, solid switches...
    2: Well thought out. Recessed knobs, balanced XLR, input pad (active/passive), 110/220 power supply, auto save, etc...
    3: Intuitive! It's very easy to use... I didn't need the manual at all to set up everything the way I wanted.
    4: Better sounding than I was expecting. The delays and modulation effects fit nicely into my existing pedal board and the amps sims are sounding quite nice in my home studio setup. I haven't dug into any overdrives or compressors yet so I can't comment on those.
    5: Versatile!
    A: For the most part I'll be using this for delays and modulation in my existing pedal board.
    B: For times when I want to go direct (recording or live) I can simply turn on an amp simulation with my setup above.
    C: When I fly to gigs, that will be my only box. It has just enough slots that I can set the pedals up exactly like my primary pedal board. Amp sim optional. I only need quick access to three effects (the others are always on) so the three button layout works for me.

I know a great guitar player in my area that uses this pedal and there is no denying the sound he gets out of it. I've never played with one myself but would certainly snag one if it came up on the local classifieds.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

so it cannot be run on the traditional 9volt wal-wart?

thats one thing that bugs me about all the Zoom Gs - if you want to put it on your pedalboard, it requires its own wal-wart.

oh well, they're still great multi-doodads

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.