Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zombie threads

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by blowtorch, Aug 25, 2018.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    (Not an issue or a problem, just looking for some clarification so i don't mess up)

It seemed from my perspective that for awhile, adding on to so-called "zombie" threads (threads from years past) was frowned upon, and those threads were quickly locked. And then it seemed that relatively recently, say, over the last few years, it was deemed as an okay thing to do. And now it seems that more recently, it is now maybe verboten...is there a general guideline for this, or is it something just left to a mod's discretion, or what?
    Thank you

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Covered here:

"RESURRECTING OLD THREADS:
    Over the years we have determined that resurrecting old threads can cause some problems for our membership. So, in general, we ask that you not post on threads that are not currently active on our thread indexes - such as threads more than 6 months to a year old. We think it's best if you simply post in current threads -- or start a new one of your own unless you have something really valuable to add to the older thread. If you resurrect an old thread with a "Me too" or a "joke." we'll probably remove the post as it's not adding any value to the thread."

• source: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/posting-rules-that-all-must-follow-please-read.616711/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018

3. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Thanks. It's been a long time since I was a new member.

Thing is, that rule seems to have been relaxed for awhile, and now is being enforced again. I am just trying to keep up with protocol

JayFreddy likes this.

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Thanks. I don't remember seeing that rule and now I know. I am sure I blah blah blahed on a couple of risen threads.

5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Considering your movie interests & Halloween fast approaching, I thought you were looking for costume ideas?

telemnemonics and blowtorch like this.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I generally presume that if the OP asked "how do I fix my broken widget?" or "should I buy widget A or widget B?", posting years later will be frowned upon.

But if the OP asked "are brand X widgets any good?" or "does anybody like brand X widgets?", then maybe posting years later can actually add something that wasn't covered in the original time period; possibly due to time passing and better answers being possible.

I'm probably wrong though!

RLee77 and blowtorch like this.

7. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I totally get what you're saying, and, I agree, personally. Also I have threads that I started long ago, that I like to update from time to time. But, you and I don't make the rules, of course

telemnemonics likes this.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

Along with the latest forum framework, in addition to the like button and other new features, came the "Similar Threads" feature that appears at the bottom of each thread page. It apparently keys on words in the thread title, and it often lists threads that are several years old.

It's easy to open, read, and respond to one of those threads before you notice how old it is, although the cry of "Zombie!" will remind you soon after you respond.

telemnemonics, tery and blowtorch like this.

9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Or the threadlock.

10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I will reply to this thread in 10 or 12 years … thank you .

11. Antmax

Antmax TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Sacramento
    If I post on a old thread it's usually because of a google search and forgetting to check the date since the subject was pertinent.

Being a bit of an introvert I don't like starting new threads much if there is some discussion going on elsewhere, don't like all the attention focused on me lol. Often if I can't find recent discussion and it's not an emergency, I simply don't post anything.

12. bcarter_1

bcarter_1 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

tery and blowtorch like this.

13. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    With the new software/look of the site introduced a couple years ago old threads are constantly cycled into current pages at the bottom of threads. There seemed to be a revamping of forums around that time because quite a few I frequent all adopted the same look/format.

I don't mind the old threads but I have to remind myself when looking at them no one wants to read that tired old farted out mattress of a thread.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    For me it simply depends on whether the old thread has posts that are still useful and valid. For example, a thread that posts possible solutions to a common problem, and you just found a great new solution to that problem... it makes perfect sense to update the thread, rather than starting a new one that ends up repeating a lot of the old one.

What doesn’t make sense to me is answering a specific question from a poster that is years old.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    While I had noticed that most of the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page tend to be older, it hadn't occurred to me that the feature might be the cause of our zombie sometimes zombie problem.
    While that feature might help facilitate a search, once we're using the search function we have a page of hits to look through.

Maybe that "feature" is more of a problem than a solution to anything in particular?

Or maybe it's intended to remind us that we don't need to start a new thread asking if the TS9 sounds like the 808?

We may have reached the tipping point with that though, doesn't seem like we get rashers of new threads asking redundant questions like a few years ago.

Well, maybe we still get rashers of new bacon threads...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.