Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

zinssers amber shellac

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by custom/59, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Hydrilla

Hydrilla TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Gibsonville, NC
    Haha, that's the first thing I thought of after I posted- shoot, now that I said guy, I bet the OP is a girl :D :oops:

2. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    Agh it's all good. I'm used to it being as this is a man's world lol

3. Hydrilla

Hydrilla TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Gibsonville, NC
    I'm partial to Kentucky girls, I'm married to one originally from Lexington :cool:

I checked out your build thread, that's gonna look real nice in amber.

4. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    Thanks hydrilla. I lived in Lexington for almost a decade before I came back to east ky. I sure miss it a lot .

5. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2008
    Missoula, MT

I ended up with a fairly thick finish because I was messing around and experimenting. I also was impatient and didn't let previous coats dry long enough so it took about a month to really harden. However it feels pretty hard now although not hard enough to really bolster the soft pine for when dings happen. I didn't go for a real high gloss and I love the way it looks and feels.

6. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    I put the sealer coats on tonight. It really made the flame pop up. So much so im considering leaving it natural

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    I hope you aren't going to do the entire build without feeding us any pics.

8. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky

9. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    This is a pine body with a lot of thin (rubbed) coats of flake shellac. Mostly Platina Shellac, a couple of coats of garnet in between for a little more color. In this pic, it wasn't sanded yet, but I have it sanded flat and smooth now, and I'm planning to put Tru-oil over this - any reason why I shouldn't?

[​IMG]

10. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    well most will ask you if you used dewaxed shellac. If you did then my understanding is it would be fine to put the tru oil over it. If you used shellac with wax in it then the oil may not play nice with the shellac and at some point cause alligator cracks in the finish. Ive read many posts of people who have used tru oil over shellac and had good results.

11. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks, it's dewaxed flake.

12. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    let me know how it turns out as Im considering the same thing.

13. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the body after everything dried and I got the fuzzes leveled down.

14. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Wow, nice choice and positioning of the woods.

While we're on the subject, one great reason to invest in a can of shellac flakes and mix your own is that you always know how fresh it is. The solvent in shellac, alcohol, is very hygroscopic; it mixes so readily with water that it will absorb moisture from the air. Over time, any batch of shellac gets to a point where it will not dry as hard. The premixed shellac manufacturers 'doth protest too much' when they insist that their products have a long shelf life.

15. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    how long would be too old? 6 months, a year? Just curious.

16. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    California
    For the serious French polishing pros, a month or so. For me, I generally just mix enough for the job at hand and delegate any leftover for general purpose sealing like MDF templates, jigs, and other misc.
    It may seem like a pain, but its super simple to mix up a fresh batch and after you have gotten used to using fresh mixed flake, well, its one of those night and day things.

17. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    for my next i will either mix the shellac or try using dyes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.