Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

zinssers amber shellac

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by custom/59, Dec 21, 2012.

1. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    would this be a decent finish for a telecaster? I know you cant put poly over it but with enough coats would it hard up enough? I dont mind would grain showing thru because thats kind of the look im going for and I dont mind if it wears over time because i want it to naturally relic itself.

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    It is important to know that Zinnser Amber shellac is a very deep, nasty orange color. When I have used it in the past, I have cut it 50/50 with clear shellac to get a nicer color.

[​IMG]

The zinnser amber shellac has a wax built in. You can add denatured alcohol, let it settle, then strain the shellac to remover the wax. Then you can use another top coat as clear.

Or you can buy some dewaxed shellac flakes, and mix it up yourself and get better results.

3. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    If I opt to just do the 50/50 would it hold up decent without a clear coat over it?

4. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you planning on spraying it, or Wiping it on?

5. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    havent decided yet. I know they say its easier to spray but I do not have a sprayer. Ive researched and found your posts on the proper way to wipe it on which is probably the route I will take.

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada

7. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    thanks. Looks like I need to pick up some non was shellac.

8. Colt W. Knight

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Where are you located in Kentucky?

9. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    Did a pine body with amber Zinsser using preval sprayers. Worked out great although fairly dark as Colt stated. With just a couple of Prevals (6 bucsks at home depot) I was able to build up a fairly think finish. Sprayed better if I thinned it a bit with denatured alcohol. One mistake I made was not letting it harden enough (at least a couple of weeks) before mounting hardware. Bridge and neckplate sunk into the finish. Spraying definitely worked better that brushing. I did mess with French polishing a bit after I had built up a bit of a base coat, but mostly just try try out the technique.

10. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    Eastern Kentucky.

11. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    I kind of like the darker look of the amber. Ill def pick up some Preval sprayers. how has the finish held up?

12. Hydrilla

Hydrilla TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Gibsonville, NC
    custom/59, I'm sure Colt and some of the other more experienced guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, an oil based finish like Tru Oil can be used over shellac that contains wax. I have not used shellac yet, but I have used Tru Oil, and it is an excellent and fairly hard and durable top coat that can be wiped or brushed on, can be polished to a high shine. Tru Oil is actually an oil varnish.

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    You don't want to use TruOil over any kind of shellac, for a number of reasons.

If you like the color of Zinsser's amber, I'd recommend that you get a couple of qt. cans of denatured alcohol for thinning and cleaning, a Preval sprayer and a couple of extra 'power units' for it, and using a scrap of your guitar body wood practice various cuts of the shellac (thined with denat. alch.), and your spray technique. TruOil is a great finish, but will lend little color, even with multiple coats. Like Shepherd said, shellac isn't as durable protection as lacquer or poly, but it does a good job of protecting against airborne humidity (even tho it provides little protection against liquid water.)

14. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    What reasons?

15. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Tru Oil can be applied over just about any shellac. I use it over Zinsser Seal Coat all the time. Naturally, that product is dewaxed, but I've also applied it over reg spray shellac with zero issues.

Shellac on gentlemen!

16. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland
    I've also used Tru-oil over shellac any number of times with good results. I use shellac to bring out the figure and give some depth, and the TO provides a nice durable finish and glosses up well. Not as nice as lacquer, but shellac and TO are about as easy as it gets to use if you're new to finishing.

17. Hydrilla

Hydrilla TDPRI Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Gibsonville, NC
    I don't mean to derail this guy's thread, but I appreciate the feedback about shellac and Tru Oil. I'm wanting to finish a pine body Tele I'm working on, and I have to do finish work in the house (meaning no spraying) until Spring, since my "shop" isn't climate controlled. I was hoping to use shellac as a sealer for the pine, and wipe on Tru Oil.

18. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

That would work just perfectly fine for ya. Been done over here many times. But...because you are working on pine, which is soft, I'd use Zinsser's Seal Coat instead. Not because it's dewaxed, but because it dries really hard and will help keep the dents to a minimum and gives an even better base coat for the Tru Oil.

19. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2011
    Oakland

What he said. /\ /\ /\

I used it over redwood, another soft wood, and it got "reliced" pretty quick.

20. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

Dec 16, 2012
    kentucky
    I don't mind anyone derailing this girls thread lol. I'm going clear shellac in Spray for the sealer, then amber shellac for the color I want. Which should be fine because it's de wax on the bottom with the waxed over it. Tru oil for the neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.