Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

zinsser spray shellac ok to use to seal grain-filler?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by appar111, Jun 5, 2009.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    I know Zinsser spray shellac is not the most ideal form of shellac (unless misted on, it never seems to sit evenly-- always looks like it's "cracking").

But would it be ok to use to seal grain-filler in?

I just need something to seal things in after each coat of grain-filler (2 rounds of it), and don't want to go to the trouble and cost of buying a bag of flakes, denatured alcohol and trying to track down a preval sprayer locally (why does no place in Columbus, OH seem to know what they are?)

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sure. You could try and brush on thinned down canned Zinsser dewaxed blonde shellac - just be careful not to sand through the grain filler stained wood layer on the edges.

3. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

:twisted: Yes, because then you make a "clean spot" and have to sand the whole frakkin thing back down to bare wood, or else it looks like crapola (been there, done that ... several times & counting).

My wife strolled through the garage yesterday, through my cloud of wood & nitro dust, and laughingly said, "By the time you're done, those things are gonna be like toothpicks!" Why, I oughta ...

mud

4. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

BTW, as a grainfiller sealer, I recently sprayed a can of the Zinsser on my Ash body with Bartley's Dark. Aside from the orange peel (it's my friend ... no, really) it went on just fine. I then also did a coat of wipe-on Zinsser, thinned a little and applied with a PreVal sprayer. In both instances, the shellac went on as well as anything else I've sprayed.

mud

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.