Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

zinsser bin with auto paint over it?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by dijos, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2008
    St. Pete
    I finally managed to prime my guitar body sanded and primed and ready for paint. I found someone to custom miX a color - nAPA Auto Supply . I just want to make sure that I can go ahead and use a preval sprayer full of automotive paint and paint the body without it getting messed up.

2. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2011
    Hopkinton, MA
    So you used a BIN primer? That should be good to stick to anything and isolate the guitar from the paint. Should be fine. If you primed on top of the BIN the paint would have to be compatible with the primer. Automotive paint can be anything. What is it?

3. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2008
    St. Pete
    Yeah, zinsser over bare wood. I'll have to ask again, I believe its lacquer not enamel paint.

4. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I have used Zinser 123 as a prime coat and DuPont Chromabase paint as a color coat with no issues whatsoever. Hope this helps.

5. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2008
    St. Pete
    They told me it is acrylic enamel.

6. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2008
    St. Pete
    Or, that they dont sell lacquer. It appears they gave a urethane or something.

7. dijos

dijos Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2008
    St. Pete
    Ok, they sell basecoat plus clear, single stage acrylic enanel, and urethane. Suggestions? Im looking for a flat opaque color that I can get a little glossy. Drying time is critical.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.