Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zinsser BIN under black lacquer? & other finish questions

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by appar111, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Chris Leger

Chris Leger Banned

May 1, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The longer, the better. Usual advice is to wait a week.

Start with the grit needed to get down to uniform finish at first - usually 600 is good, if your finish went on half-way evenly. Work up to 1500 or 2000. DO wet sand with the black/grey AL oxide wet/dry paper. Finish up with your polish.

2. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    I'll be taking my time w/ this project, so I can easily wait a week (or more) before doing a 600, 800, 1200(?), 1500, 2000 wetsanding session.

I'll just make sure I've got a good # of coats of clear on so's I don't sand through the color. If I do a good job at prepping the wood first and spray the color & clear coats under reasonably ideal conditions, I hopefully shouldn't have to sand too hard.

One last question-- should I tape off the neck pocket prior to painting the color coats? I usually get at least 1 light coat of sanding sealer on the neck pocket when doing initial spraying (just to make sure the wood is sealed), but I usually try to avoid painting the neck pocket-- I figure the less between the neck and the wood of the body, the better.

thanks again for the great advice!

3. Chris Leger

Chris Leger Banned

May 1, 2008
    New Hampshire
    A little finish in the pocket won't hurt anything, as long as it isn't so thick in spots that it starts skewing your neck.

That said, I'd tape-off the bottom of the pocket, or rely on the stick/fixture screwed to the pocket in order to hold it.

4. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    Chris-
    When you say the black that I'll be using (black lacquer, by Rustoleum) is a forgiving finish, do you mean that it's easy to reapply (touch ups, etc.) or that it covers things well? I'm a little nervous about tackling black since it's one of the most infamous colors to get to look right.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    NoVa
    FWIW, I spray a dusting coat of BINS on every body I finish. Haven't personally done a black body, but I still would use BINS and sand it down to where it's nice and thin but the grain is opaqued. Oh, put on your sanding sealer first, then the BINS.

ONE MAJOR WORD OF CAUTION WITH BINS. It sprays like a mudder effer, practice on a spare piece of wood and stand far away. It does spray like a flame thrower and I've had many a run because I was careless.

Finally, do clear coat the body.

6. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio
    I used the BINS on another project (non-guitar related) and you're right-- you definitely have to hold on when you press down on the trigger!

Why would you still use it on this project? Is there something specific that a mist coat of BINS would provide?

So: raise grain & sand, Sanding Sealer & sand, mist coat of BINS & sand, color coat, clear coat, then final sand & polish.

7. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Ohio

???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.