Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zinsser BIN or Vinyl

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mefgames, Nov 13, 2011.

1. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    I will be painting a current project soon. I am doing an opaque Nitro finish. On a previous attempt at an opaque Nitro finish, I did not use a white primer. The finish did get less and less transparent with more coats, but never got completely opaque. I used a Vinyl sealer, then Nitro. If I use the Zinsser BIN white primer, do I still need to use the vinyl sealer first ?

Also, I would like to get an off white finish. Would an amber tint added with the white pigment get that color, or would it just turn it more yellow ?

Mike

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Not normally. BIN handles most lacquers just fine; note I say *most* because there can always be some wild-card product that doesn't work. For compatibility sake, why not use a white lacquer primer? It would also tend to have the same expansion/contraction as the lacquer coats (avoiding unwanted delamination) and the subsequent coats will melt into it.

Amber tint will go yellow. A blend of raw umber and a tiny amount of yellow oxide will get you one type of beige - there are literally a hundred variations, though.

Find a paint store that carries "Tints All" pigment. Their display rack shows what each pigment does at different concentration levels. Take a picture of it and keep it around for reference - comes in real handy!

3. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    Use the sealer first and sand it to get a smooth level surface followed by the BIN to hide the grain. Mohawk also sells a white nitro primer if you can find it. Either one prevents building up a very thick finish which can happen when using tints to hide the grain. Practice with the BIN before you use it cause it sprays like a fire extinguisher.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.