Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zero Glide Nuts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by WrayGun, Apr 17, 2017.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    You wouldn't have to cut nut slots and it only impacts the open strings.

3. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I haven't used these specifically but I use zero frets in general and like them alot. They lend themselves well to open tunings where open strings can be a bit more significant. Action works out great for me. Like everything it won't work for everyone for some reason or another. If you're trying to use compensation at the nut as well as the bridge I can see a problem.

4. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Feb 28, 2016
    kildonan
    P1020614.JPG I installed one on a flipped Strat and the high E developed a double groove which pinged when the string was bent. I talked to Zeroglide and they sent me newer frets which were supposed to be harder....didn't work.:(.
    Everything else was great and I
    would buy again IF they use a stainless/harder alloy.

Which ones are you using, Richa?

5. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I just make my own using slightly taller fretwire. It may be that I just don't play enough for this problem to manifest. I'll have to inspect them closely and see if it looks like it could be happening. This is a good callout. It definitely seems like harder zero frets would be called for.

That said I'm not sure what would cause the double groove. Wondering if the string spacer is not letting the string bear on the zero fret completely.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You can buy a grooved bone nut from Stewmac for 7 bucks. All you have to do is file the bottom of it til you have the strings at the right height and your done.

I think people just let doing a nut intimidate them, so they go for this perceived easier route instead. However, one must cut a channel in the neck/fretboard at the right width and depth to accept the Zerofret and put it at the right height. If you can do that, you can do a regular nut. One isn't any better than the other as long as they're done right. It isn't rocket science.

As far as the "only matters on the open strings" thoughts go, fretting a string doesn't completely stop vibrations above that fret for said string, it only changes the pitch of said strings vibration.

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I use zero frets all the time and find them excellent! All that is required is some kind of string guide forward of the zero fret to keep the string alignment correct. When fret levelling, I only level from fret one which leaves the zero fret a fraction of a millimeter higher than the rest. Hell! I may be wrong but it works for me. I find that scarfed headstocks work better in all cases for string tension and alignment.

Here's a pix of one of the first "zeros" I did.

DC

Attached Files:

8. brewsterallen

brewsterallen Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2010
    Road Eyelend
    I have installed the Zero Glide on several builds. I have found no issues and actually prefer them. Brian May guitars arrive stock with a zero fret which again I prefer. IMG_1102.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.