Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Zephyr Blues Deluxe.... I'm in love again!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by J. Hayes, Aug 19, 2013.

1. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    I hadn't played this guitar for a long time but I was shuffling cases around in my storage area and I saw the name on the case and took the guitar out. It's an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe I got at Marr's Music maybe 12 or 13 years ago. I was playing with an Elvis impersonator then and wanted something similar to Scotty Moore's old Gibson Super 400 and this was all I could afford. I paid a grand for it with the hardshell case. I think the store price then was $999 or so. Anyway, it originally came with the "Frequensator" tailpiece that Epiphone used to use. Awhile back I found the gold Bigsby for $100 from a private party so that was a welcome addition along with a gold "roller" bridge from Stewart MacDonald. I also drilled a hole in each end of the wooden bridge base and screwed it down so it wouldn't move around.... I added the Gibson "Tulip" tuners and I made the "arm guard" for the upper bout on my trusty old scroll saw. The silver floral designs on the pickguard and armguard came from the local craft store. This guitar has no toggle switch but has three volume controls in a line for the pickups. The knob on the cutaway extension is a master tone control. I'm a long time Merle Travis fan and this guitar using just the neck and bridge pickups has the best "Travis" tone of any guitar in my collection. Now that I've rediscovered it, it's going to be used at a lot of my gigs for some special things............Here's some shots of it... Anyone else have one of these?.....JH in Va.

Attached Files:

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    "I made the "arm guard" for the upper bout on my trusty old scroll saw. The silver floral designs on the pickguard and armguard came from the local craft store."

love the added bling!

3. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

5. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Thanks........

Another thing this guitar is great for is emulating a steel. If you use a little more reverb, a foot volume control and then use the Bigsby while sustaining notes and play some faux steel guitar runs it'll really do the job... I wish I knew how to do videos to demonstrate but I don't.....JH in Va.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around

7. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

Jan 21, 2005
    California
    I've drooled over that one for a long time. Must be a rockabilly monster.

8. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Did a "Classic Country" thing last Friday and....

the lead singer also had a Zephyr Blues Deluxe (but mine's prettier and has a Bigsby).... We did a couple of old twin guitar instrumentals during the night as well... here are some "action" shots of some old timers (me included) puttin' out some "Old timey" country...........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.